Hotel and Transportation for PCO Interview

Started by poohhairt
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

poohhairt

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be going for an interview at PCO next month. I'm flying into Philadelphia and I'm not familiar with the area. Does anyone know of a hotel that would be easy to get to from the airport (shuttle?) and then to the campus in the morning (walk, public transportation, cab?). I could also rent a car, but I'd rather save the money if it isn't necessary. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
 
When I went by myself I stayed at the Econo Lodge (cheap, but you get what you pay for), which provided a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I took the taxi from hotel to campus which was about 25 minutes, but I would strongly discourage this if you're on a budget b/c it was more than $50 (pretty sure i was gypped). I figure now that if I'd planned it out and confirm with PCO about directions from the train station to campus, I could've taken the shuttle from hotel to airport and taken the train (R1, I think) from airport to campus (WAY cheaper). Just make sure you give yourself lots of time. However, on my way back, i asked the staff for directions to the train station, and they were so courteous that an admissions officer offered me a ride to the train station and i took it directly to the airport ($7) and caught the hotel's shuttle from there. I hope this helps somewhat; I'm sure you can get more efficient suggestions. Let me know if you have other questions. Good luck!
 
When I went to PCO in November I flew in from TX to philly, and used the Tropiano shuttle service (like $40 roundtrip) to get to the hotel. Because my dad had free hotel points i stayed at the Marriot in Willow Grove, it is expensive but you get your money's worth and it is closer to the school. I used the taxi services to get to and from my interview (like $20 each way), but when I thought the taxi wasn't going to arrive in time the hotel manager offered to drop me off. Unless you know the philly area i wouldn't advise renting a car because they do have toll roads and that is costly too. If need any more help or telephone # for transportation, let me know. The train is a good idea because it is inexpensive and you could stay at a hotel in Philly if you want to sight see. Good Luck, the interview is very laid back and basically you are having a conversation about yourself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can rent a car for about $50, so I think I'll probably go that route. It should cut down the stress of relying on other transportation. Thanks for the replies.
 
poohhairt said:
I can rent a car for about $50, so I think I'll probably go that route. It should cut down the stress of relying on other transportation. Thanks for the replies.


When I interviewed in early December, I rented a car online and stayed at Microtell Inn & Suites (the one like 2 blocks from the airport).... It was cheaper than almost any other decent hotel room by like $30+ a night, and pretty decent for a night or two's stay. Renting a car was MUCH cheaper than using any sort of taxi's or shuttel services.... I think it was like $60 one way for a taxi! Its also nice to have the rental car so you can get a better idea of what the city and area around the school are like! I didn't have to pay any tolls the way I went, but it can be a little confusing getting back to the airport during rush hour! Good luck!
 
Hi, poohhairt:
this is not exactly related to your question...but i was wondering how soon did when you sent your application in did you get an interview? i am still applying right now..it is kind of late, but i'm still hoping. thanks..and good luck!
 
My application was completed by mid October, interviewed in early November and was accepted early December. Since the admissions window is coming to a close you should hear about an interview very quicly if your GPA and OAT scores are in place. They can offer you an interview without your application being complete, but it is best that it is so you can get a response quicker. Their committe meets bi weekly.

blooberryi said:
Hi, poohhairt:
this is not exactly related to your question...but i was wondering how soon did when you sent your application in did you get an interview? i am still applying right now..it is kind of late, but i'm still hoping. thanks..and good luck!
 
blooberryi said:
Hi, poohhairt:
this is not exactly related to your question...but i was wondering how soon did when you sent your application in did you get an interview? i am still applying right now..it is kind of late, but i'm still hoping. thanks..and good luck!

I was offered an interview last November, when they would have only had my transcript and OAT scores. I still don't have a completed application, but will have it done before my interview. I've been late with my applications too, but I'm hoping that my OAT scores and GPA will at least get me an interview.
 
when i went, i took a red eye flight and took the shuttle in the morning then left the same day. but if you plan to stay a night, find a place next to the train station and take the R1 or R3 to the jenkintown/wyncote station. i think R2 heads this way too. anyhow, once you get off the train, it's only like a 20 min walk from the station to campus.

oh, i wouldn't really recommend renting a car cuz driving here sucks. the roads suck and the signs are hard to find to read. anyhow, good luck.