Jan 30, 2010
Status
since most hotels make us check out at 11am or (1pm for late check out), and assuming we are not renting a car, what are we suppose to do with our luggage since interviews usually go to at least 3pm which means we will have to check out before we go on our interview.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You can either store it in your car or ask the hotel front desk o hold it for you to pick up after you get back from your interview. Just ask them if they can sore it when you check in and bring it down when you leave for your interview in the morning. Just don't forget to pick it back up when you get back! Or just lock it in the truck of your car. I've done both.

HRantz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Bring your luggage to the interview site and have it left in a secure location. It is completely normal and happens all the time. Or, as was already mentioned, have the hotel hold onto it for you.

Jun 5, 2009
Status
Check out before you go to your interview early in the morning. Tell the front desk that you want to leave your luggage for pick up when you come from the interview.

For example, you have to be in the department for the interview around 8:30 AM. Check out around 7:30 AM and leave the luggage in the hotel. Pick up a taxi and reach the hospital 30 min in advance. However, do not show up immediately but have a cup of coffee and then go to the department at time. Make sure you keep a "safe margin" of time between leaving the hotel and reaching the hospital. Consider the rush hour in the morning, delay in the taxi arrival,..etc. I would rather be in the hospital early than be there late.
You are done at 4 pm. Pick up a taxi back to the hotel. Take your luggage and head to the airport.

Hotels have a way to keep the luggage for customers. You will be paying the hotel fo one night only. I did many interviews and I didn't rent a car. I arrive one night before and leave the following day. I use taxis between the hotel, hospital and airport.

KCShaw

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Any of the above. Also feel free to discuss it with your contact person at the interview site, usually the program coordinator. They may already know the "easiest" way to handle such things, specific to their location and possibly your hotel. If your main concern is that you might get screwed into paying another day at the hotel, don't be -- it's incredibly common to check out on time and leave your luggage in storage at the hotel for the day if that's what you want to do, and shouldn't cost more than a meager tip. Unless you're staying at a flophouse, in which case you may have more pressing concerns.

MirkoCrocop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
wheel it around with you during your interview.

when you bring it into a pathologist's office, set it in the chair next to you and say "do you mind if my friend sits in during the interview?"