Hours for shadowing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tigerlily7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just discovered this great site and have a question about shadowing. After checking with about 5 vets, I finally found a clinic willing to let me shadow. They're a big emergency clinic and I'm excited to start but I've been told I can only shadow for 2-3 hours a day, two days a week because they want to get other people who want to shadow in. By the time I go to college in the Fall, that will be 60hours if I can get 3 hours each time.
So I'm wondering if that's not a lot of hours and if I should try to find a second clinic to shadow in or something. I'm just graduating high school by the way, though I will have my AA so I'm a bit ahead of the game, though this is my first time shadowing a vet.
Let me know what you think! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Take it. If you aren't satisfied with the number of hours, look for a second opportunity. Since you won't be spending much time at that clinic it shouldn't be hard to find the time for both. I wouldn't turn it down without finding something better though, just in case.

And while it's nice to spread them out, it really isn't hard to rack up some hours pretty quick if need be. I had 0 vet hours when I started undergrad and submitted my VMCAS after 2 years.

Just always be looking for new opportunities and new contacts to help you along the way, and don't stress about it too much because you've got plenty of time.

Also, welcome to SDN :)

Hi! I just discovered this great site and have a question about shadowing. After checking with about 5 vets, I finally found a clinic willing to let me shadow. They're a big emergency clinic and I'm excited to start but I've been told I can only shadow for 2-3 hours a day, two days a week because they want to get other people who want to shadow in. By the time I go to college in the Fall, that will be 60hours if I can get 3 hours each time.
So I'm wondering if that's not a lot of hours and if I should try to find a second clinic to shadow in or something. I'm just graduating high school by the way, though I will have my AA so I'm a bit ahead of the game, though this is my first time shadowing a vet.
Let me know what you think! Thanks! :)

Well. I think <most> people apply with 400+ hours (there are people who will quickly chime in to point out how they only got in with 150 hours or something, but they're the minority). I don't recall what the average is, but there are people applying with x000 hours (especially, obviously, those with vet assistant, vet tech, or research backgrounds).

So yeah, you want to find another clinic or whatever to additionally spend time at. Mixing it up isn't bad. I shadowed at one clinic, volunteered at a wildlife rehab center, and volunteered at our teaching hospital - those three were the bulk of hours. I had some time with an orthopedic surgeon, a large animal doc, and an equine doc as well, but those were 40 hours or less each. All told, I think I was around 500 hours, which I think put me on the low normal end of things, probably? Not sure.

You've got plenty of time to build hours if you're just starting college. Just chunk away at it an afternoon at a time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely take them up on it! You are young and you have plenty of time to get more hours in before you apply. Every hour counts when applying so even if it's only a few then it's better than nothing.

Also it is good to look around for other clinics (especially ones that are in other areas such as large animal, exotics, etc) so that you can diversify your experience.

When I applied I had experience from at least 5 different clinics with about 1000 hours total that I accumulated over the 3 years at college. I also started college with practically 0 hours of veterinary experience and I started shadowing in the fall semester and but did most of my hours during my summer & winter breaks.

Definitely do what you can now, and perhaps try to get a job that you can work at during the summers that will give you vet experience. One thing that I did was to get a summer job working at a boarding facility that was connected to a vet clinic during the summers. Because working there introduced me to the vet who owned the place and all of the vet techs they were more than willing to let me come in and volunteer/shadow at their clinic on the days I wasn't working (or after/before my shift).

I'd say that you will want to find more opportunities, but also remember that quality is important. You want to have a high enough number of *varied* vet experience hours, but at the same time, you need to remember that 10 super awesome high quality experience hours are more valuable to you than 30 crappy hours with your back to the wall squinting to see what's going on. Ya know? Once you get your foot in the door, so to speak, it's a LOT easier to find more hours. I started working in the kennel at a day practice, and then volunteering at an ER as well. When I started at the ER, I got a TON of suggestions from the docs there for vets who would love to have a student shadow them. It's like...a domino effect. If you get your name out there, and you make a good impression, you'll get the hours. It sounds like you are off to a great start! I began last year working two days a week at a day practice, and ended up with over 1,000 hours for the year, simply because of the other opportunities that I found because of it. Sorry for being so long winded, but my gist is that if you are already actively looking and finding these opportunities and you haven't even started undergrad yet, you are ahead of lots of people! Keep it up, and good luck!

Thanks everyone! I will look for some more opportunities on top of that one, though I'm glad I have plenty of time! I've heard some rumors from the staff at the shelter I volunteer at that the vet might let people shadow her so I'll ask there too and look for some big animal vets.

I contacted a equine vet and they are willing to set up a ride along in July. Yay!