House Votes To Suspend Cytology Proficiency Testing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In a related story, 99% of congressmen, when asked what that means, said, "I have no idea."

I find it amazing that elected people with no medical expertise at all except the time they whined about Terri Schiavo are making decisions like this (and have the power to make decisions like this).

They probably just voted it as. .

ATLUS . . . .Atypical Legislation of Undetermined Significance

Members don't see this ad :)
Everytime I hear ASCUS, I think "ASK US", like "ASK US" later when you give us another pap.

beary said:
Good heavens. I can't believe the Congress is involved in this type of thing.

Really. There are many critical issues facing the nation currently with which congress should be involved. Take all those juiced up ballplayers on 'roids. Shouldn't the house be in the middle of all-night debates on that one? Jeeez.

This whole proficiency testing thing is utter non-sense. Anyone else ask themselves here why is it only gyn cytology cases that require proficiency testing? So, I gather that non-gyn cytology and surgical pathology are free-for-all's. This is a political football, no more. For crissake, pap smears are SCREENING TESTS! They were never intended to be diagnostic. Ironically, paps are the easiest cases to sign out. Hell, non-physicians can do it well. There is no legislation being discussed on proficiency testing for frozen sections, or fna cytology, or autopsy. Why is it that our post-graduate training and board certification are sufficient enough for these much more difficult aspects of practice, but for those scarry important pap smears, we need to be tested every year or two to make sure we're up to speed?

I want the goverment as far away from my practice of medicine as possible. Those pandering *****s can only screw it up.