House Votes To Suspend Cytology Proficiency Testing

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by Doctor B., Dec 19, 2005.

1. Doctor B.

Doctor B. Slappin' That Glass
    7+ Year Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. yaah

yaah Boring
    Administrator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In a related story, 99% of congressmen, when asked what that means, said, "I have no idea."

I find it amazing that elected people with no medical expertise at all except the time they whined about Terri Schiavo are making decisions like this (and have the power to make decisions like this).

3. Pookies

Pookies Happy Fun Pathologist
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They probably just voted it as. .

ATLUS . . . .Atypical Legislation of Undetermined Significance

4. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Everytime I hear ASCUS, I think "ASK US", like "ASK US" later when you give us another pap.

5. beary

beary Pancytopenic
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Good heavens. I can't believe the Congress is involved in this type of thing.

6. pathdawg

pathdawg Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Really. There are many critical issues facing the nation currently with which congress should be involved. Take all those juiced up ballplayers on 'roids. Shouldn't the house be in the middle of all-night debates on that one? Jeeez.

This whole proficiency testing thing is utter non-sense. Anyone else ask themselves here why is it only gyn cytology cases that require proficiency testing? So, I gather that non-gyn cytology and surgical pathology are free-for-all's. This is a political football, no more. For crissake, pap smears are SCREENING TESTS! They were never intended to be diagnostic. Ironically, paps are the easiest cases to sign out. Hell, non-physicians can do it well. There is no legislation being discussed on proficiency testing for frozen sections, or fna cytology, or autopsy. Why is it that our post-graduate training and board certification are sufficient enough for these much more difficult aspects of practice, but for those scarry important pap smears, we need to be tested every year or two to make sure we're up to speed?

I want the goverment as far away from my practice of medicine as possible. Those pandering morons can only screw it up.