Houses in Buffalo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raiden117

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I'm from out of state and I'm looking to buy a house near the University of Buffalo, anyone who goes there know any neighborhoods that are fairly reasonable(price wise) and also are close to campus? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

So I'm from out of state and I'm looking to buy a house near the University of Buffalo, anyone who goes there know any neighborhoods that are fairly reasonable(price wise) and also are close to campus? Thanks!

It is SOOO cheap to buy houses here, and you can find absolutely gorgeous ones for ridiculously low prices. It already was a cheap city to live in, and it's now a buyer's market.

A lot of the suburbs north and east of the school have some great neighborhoods. Check out Snyder, Amherst, and Williamsville. If you live off Main street in Amherst or Snyder, there are streets with stone gates that lead to huge columned houses and tudor mansions and all that (as well as more modest but still very nice larger homes). If you're more in the style of small houses with a "suburbia", low-maintenance look, I'd recommend the Tonawandas (north, south, village of, etc.) and Kenmore.

I would NOT live in South, East, or West Buffalo. The towns south of the city are nice (Hamburg, etc.), but that's a half hour drive for no good reason. And as for the city itself, North is the only area to live in, but there are some GORGEOUS houses in Woodbrige and Depew aves. We walk those streets every evening for our walk and I always envy them, and the many "For Sale" signs! :D

Good luck! I'm a junior at UB.

You are very smart to buy in buffalo, cheaper to own than it is to rent. There are some very nice neighborhoods around south campus. I live about 2 miles from school and will be selling my house after I graduate in May (or sell with a lease back until we move). It is brick with a full basement and a 1 car garage right next to a great town park that has a community pool, hockey arena, playgrounds, a track, tennis courts and probably 8 or 9 baseball fields. It is a great neighborhood for a family. 3 bedroom 1.5 bath. It really has been a nice place to live for the past 4 years. If anyone is interested feel free to contact me. You can find a nice picture of it on Google if you just search for 315 edgewood avenue, tonawanda ny 14223.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming that you guys would recommend not to purchase houses south of campus? I've seen some really cheap houses within 3 miles of campus, but theyre south in Buffalo, not Amherst or the other areas.

When you guys say cheap prices for big houses in Northern Buffalo, how much is the monthly mortgage payment on average?

There are plenty of nice homes in the 60-80k range just north of campus in Tonawanda or just east in Cheektowaga. Do not live off of Bailey south of campus unless you are prefer the ghetto. There are shootings, robberies and everything else that comes with the hood there, its not worth worrying about your safety and the safety of others who live with you.

I'm assuming that you guys would recommend not to purchase houses south of campus? I've seen some really cheap houses within 3 miles of campus, but theyre south in Buffalo, not Amherst or the other areas.

I wouldn't buy in that area just south of campus and west of Eggert Rd (there are some good places west of Eggert that are north of campus). I also wouldn't buy south of the 33. You can find houses for like 15k, but it's not worth it.

When you guys say cheap prices for big houses in Northern Buffalo, how much is the monthly mortgage payment on average?

It's obvious that it will depend on the price of the home, but the thing to watch out for is that property taxes in NY are OUTRAGEOUS!!!. I purchased a home for 75k. It is roughly 1500 sq ft, 3 bed, 1.5 bath, full basement. My mortgage without taxes or insurance is roughly 450 each month, but after taxes and insurance figure in, my mortgage is 837 each month.

There are plenty of nice homes in the 60-80k range just north of campus in Tonawanda or just east in Cheektowaga. Do not live off of Bailey south of campus unless you are prefer the ghetto. There are shootings, robberies and everything else that comes with the hood there, its not worth worrying about your safety and the safety of others who live with you.

:thumbup: I live in Cheektowaga.