HouseStaff Hematuria and Coude

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yosh

Livin' in the WINDY CITY
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else noticing a trend with housestaff refusing to place coude catheters in their floor patients with gross hematuria? I seem to be getting a rash of calls from nurses/housestaff expecting me to drive into the hospital to place a catheter.

Have other GU residents experienced this, and if so how do you deal with this situation? Taking home call, I find this frustrating as hell, esp b/c the coude catheter is less traumatic then a "traditional" straight foley...

any thoughts???

Members don't see this ad.

When they call you for a foley/coude, insist that the house staff still place it, but under your supervision. My resident on urology used to do this. Eventually enough house staff were comfortable placing that if someone else called her, she'd say "is Dr. X on with you? He can do it, I've taught him personally." Of course, then she'd say "Oh he's busy? Then call you're attending, this isn't the f'ing foley service, you're a doctor too"

When they call you for a foley/coude, insist that the house staff still place it, but under your supervision. My resident on urology used to do this. Eventually enough house staff were comfortable placing that if someone else called her, she'd say "is Dr. X on with you? He can do it, I've taught him personally." Of course, then she'd say "Oh he's busy? Then call you're attending, this isn't the f'ing foley service, you're a doctor too"

that's what we do. if they place the foley, it's not an official consult. thus, no consult note.

plus nothing hurts busy medicine residents on call than making them gather all the stuff while you drive into the hospital.