Housing affordable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasPhysician

Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My PGY-I salary looks to be around $45,000ish. I'm wondering how much house single residents can afford. I'd have to finance everything (minimal debt though). I don't spend much money going out. By my own poor math skills, $1200/month + taxes/upkeep seems likely to be on the high side. What have yall managed to do for a monthly payment? How comfortable have yall been with your monthly bills?

Members don't see this ad.

My wife and I have lived on approx 45K during med school (her salary, my loans). If you want to be safe a house payment should be about 25% of monthly take home pay (per Dave Ramsey). Upper limit would be 35%. If you take home 40,000/yr, monthly is 3,300, and 1,200 is 36% of that.

I start residency at around 45,000ish too. We are going to make some sacrifices in other areas so we can afford a little bigger house payment. Also, we don't have a car payment and should have all credit cards payed off soon so that helps.