Housing affordable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TexasPhysician

Full Member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My PGY-I salary looks to be around $45,000ish. I'm wondering how much house single residents can afford. I'd have to finance everything (minimal debt though). I don't spend much money going out. By my own poor math skills, $1200/month + taxes/upkeep seems likely to be on the high side. What have yall managed to do for a monthly payment? How comfortable have yall been with your monthly bills?
 
My wife and I have lived on approx 45K during med school (her salary, my loans). If you want to be safe a house payment should be about 25% of monthly take home pay (per Dave Ramsey). Upper limit would be 35%. If you take home 40,000/yr, monthly is 3,300, and 1,200 is 36% of that.

I start residency at around 45,000ish too. We are going to make some sacrifices in other areas so we can afford a little bigger house payment. Also, we don't have a car payment and should have all credit cards payed off soon so that helps.