housing allowance

Started by iatrosB
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

iatrosB

trying not to kill anyone
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all. Does the housing allowance offered while in the military medical school provide a decent apartment or house. I have a family so I need a two bedroom at least. Housing is expensive in Maryland, is the allowance enough to live comfortably on? Thanks!
 
iatrosB said:
Hey all. Does the housing allowance offered while in the military medical school provide a decent apartment or house. I have a family so I need a two bedroom at least. Housing is expensive in Maryland, is the allowance enough to live comfortably on? Thanks!

I think it is between 1400 and $1500/month if you are married. Enough to rent but not buy.
 
GoNavy said:
I think it is between 1400 and $1500/month if you are married. Enough to rent but not buy.


it depends on if you are willing to commute. we are purchasing a 3br townhome in laurel and i'll be commuting to walter reed and national naval (right by USUHS) and our monthly mortgage is under 1500/month. buying is do-able (and probably a smart idea with the way things appreciate around here) but you have to put some work in to find the place you 1) want and 2) can get.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Homunculus, or anyone else who can respond, is there housing assistance from the medical school. I mean, do they help you find a place to live or are you on your own?
 
kedhegard said:
Dumb question: Is this just for USUHS folks?

Yes, this just applies to the military medical school in Maryland.
 
iatrosB,

You may use the services of the Housing Referral Office up at the NNMC. They can be reached at 301-295-6564. Additionally, many flyers can be found around campus advertising places to live.
 
I found the Housing Referral types unhelpful a while back. Both NFCU and USAA have "membermove" type programs. I've used the NFCU one twice and found it to be quite helpful/useful in the home buying process.