Housing at Nova--- HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flurudha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to ask optometry students already enrolled at NOVA where do you guys think is the best place to rent. I want an appartment that is close to school, not too expensive and that has good security. I have heard some very bad things about the Sunforest appartments and pretty much most of the other appartments in the area.. I don't know what to do. What about the Cultural Living Center fo Graduate students on campus?? Is that a good place to live? Help me out plssssssssssss. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Really?? Did u get a single or a double? I might actually move in there with another girl from our program. Why did u choose the Cultural living center?

I'm moving into the Cultural Living Center.

I will also be moving into the Cultural Living Center. I was told that there are only double rooms available for this year. No singles.

hey fonziefonz,
Did you already fill out your housing contract? What made you decide to live on-campus? For me, its the fact that I won't have to buy any furniture and be within walking distance to my classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I signed the contract online for a double about an hour ago. I think it is the best choise for first year students at least. Its so much cheaper than any other appartment building around campus and it includes everything. Someone from the housing department told me that the living room has two small sofas and no TV but there is free cable.. The kitchen has no cooking utensils but.. whatever.. those things are not that expensive.

Do you guys know when housing will let us know if we got a room? I also just paid the deposit of $500 so I hope they let me know soon.

Hey Everyone,

I think its great that we're networking! I am looking into buying a place but haven't settled on anything yet. I want to be close to school but we'll see what I can find when I head down to NOVA in May.

Everyone else that is starting at NOVA in the Fall keep us posted on where you are living :)

startup fees? So how much can one expect to pay for a two bedroom apartment at Sunforest?

for a two bedroom its about $1300.. split between two people. there are fees you have to pay like security deposit, insurance, move-in fees, etc. but i think thats anywhere. i like sunforest mainly because its really close (even closer than if u are living ON-campus) It's kind of expensive, but I think it will be worth it :oops:

Just wanted to say hello to my soon to be Nova classmates! I can't wait to meet all of you.

I was thinking about living at Sunforest, but now I'm a little worried. Other than the initial costs, was there anything else that any of you found to bother you?

Thanks!

I live in Sunforest and I had looked into moving on Campus. It is not cheaper (or not much). You don't have a kitchen and are forced to buy the school's food which is much more expensive than anything you could make. Ok, yes, if you live in a double it's what, $8-900/mo all inclusive? Hmm, that's about what I pay. And I have my own room, bathroom, kitchen...and a hell of a lot more freedom than living in a loud dorm. You think the start up costs are expensive, and when I first heard them, trust me, I thought the same. But if you continue to live there for the next year, they become cheaper all the time.

One other thought. Are the dorms open during the summer? And did you factor paying for them into your costs? I would think more about the decision to live in the dorms. It really might not be worth the couple hundred you could save.

I'm looking for a roomate or two to get a place off campus with. Not exactly sure where yet, but I will be going at some point soon to look at places. I would like to move in at some point in July. If anyone is interested or knows anyone else who might be please let me know....you can email me at [email protected] thanks.

Have you guys checked out the ratings for Sunforest at apartmentratings.com?? The things they say about the security, staff, and roches... those ratings scared me off from renting anything off campus... at least for the first year until I get familiar with the area.

The apartments on campus at the Cultural Living center do have their own kitchens and the doubles have a separate bathroom for each bedroom. The contract is from August 1st 2007 to August 1st 2008. So yes, summer housing is included.

i know a few opt students who live in sunforest now and they love it. i dont know how reliable those ratings are. there's going to be break-ins anywhere if ppl want to break in - including residence. also, the dean mentioned during the interview that living off-campus is a closer walk to class than living on campus.

I hope this housing thing works out for everyone. I know its stressful... but nothing compared to what we had to endure with the application process.
We all have different priorities when it comes to housing.. so there will never be a identifiable THE best place to rent. I just wanted to have a general idea of where everyone was going to live and why.
Thank you all for the helpful replies.

I mainly chose on campus housing due to the lower cost, the apartment being furnished, don't have to worry about utility bills every month, its close to the college of optometry (there is a campus bus I can take every morning.. or just drive my car.. or walk when its not that HOT), and because I found a roomate to share the app. with, so I wouldn't be paired with a complete stranger in a communications field or something.

I like the fact that many of us will be living close to each other. It will come in handy i'm sure.
I can't wait to meet you all and spend the next four years of my life asking for your help on homework :)) Jk

Again, thnx for your help and good luck!

Anisa