housing dilemma

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by qtlilkitty, Apr 7, 2007.

1. qtlilkitty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi all, i've gotten accepted into 1 school already but am still waiting on 3 more (waitlisted at 2 no wd from 1). I heard that some schools send out acceptances as late as mid Aug. I'm kinda confused about what to do about housing...if I move to the one I got accepted, I'll porli have to sign a 1 yr contract. So if by some odd chance I get accepted into any of the other 3, i'll be paying double rent? I need help plleeaaz.:confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. toothfairy85

toothfairy85 Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'm guessing one of the schools you're waitlisted at is your top choice??? I wouldn't sign a lease until you know 100% that is where you will be attending. I wouldn't wait much later than July to make the decision to move and sign a lease at the school you've already been accepted to.

4. lgwdnbdgr

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You have several options. If you are going to live off campus, just sign a month-to-month lease. Your rent will probably be a little higher, but once you know you'll be staying long term, you can negotiate a long term lease.

If you don't get the option of a month-to-month lease, you can still get out of it; the penalty will vary depending on the contract and the state. Here in Oregon, your landlord is required to make a reasonable effort to rent out the space to someone else and can't charge you rent once the space is occupied.

If you are in a place with a low vacancy rate, there will be little problem finding someone else to rent your place. If you are in a place with a high vacancy rate, you'll have a lot of bargaining power to negotiate a short term lease.

5. RDHwife

RDHwife Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I heard that after May 1st, no dental school can offer an admission to a student that is holding an offer at another school. So...you should know in a few weeks.

6. KOM

KOM Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Buy a tent and wash yourself with a rag on the stick...down by the river.

...I'd do the month to month lease even though that can be very expensive. Although the fees for breaking a lease agreement would probably run a lot higher.