1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

housing dilemma

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by qtlilkitty, Apr 7, 2007.

1. qtlilkitty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi all, i've gotten accepted into 1 school already but am still waiting on 3 more (waitlisted at 2 no wd from 1). I heard that some schools send out acceptances as late as mid Aug. I'm kinda confused about what to do about housing...if I move to the one I got accepted, I'll porli have to sign a 1 yr contract. So if by some odd chance I get accepted into any of the other 3, i'll be paying double rent? I need help plleeaaz.:confused:

2. toothfairy85

toothfairy85 Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'm guessing one of the schools you're waitlisted at is your top choice??? I wouldn't sign a lease until you know 100% that is where you will be attending. I wouldn't wait much later than July to make the decision to move and sign a lease at the school you've already been accepted to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lgwdnbdgr

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You have several options. If you are going to live off campus, just sign a month-to-month lease. Your rent will probably be a little higher, but once you know you'll be staying long term, you can negotiate a long term lease.

If you don't get the option of a month-to-month lease, you can still get out of it; the penalty will vary depending on the contract and the state. Here in Oregon, your landlord is required to make a reasonable effort to rent out the space to someone else and can't charge you rent once the space is occupied.

If you are in a place with a low vacancy rate, there will be little problem finding someone else to rent your place. If you are in a place with a high vacancy rate, you'll have a lot of bargaining power to negotiate a short term lease.

4. RDHwife

RDHwife Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I heard that after May 1st, no dental school can offer an admission to a student that is holding an offer at another school. So...you should know in a few weeks.

5. KOM

KOM Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Buy a tent and wash yourself with a rag on the stick...down by the river.

...I'd do the month to month lease even though that can be very expensive. Although the fees for breaking a lease agreement would probably run a lot higher.