Housing in Florida?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlistexWorks

Sophomore Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is ok to ask here, but does anyone have any recommendations of places to lease near UF? Hopefully some place that allows an 80lb dog and is not in one of the most traffic-saturated areas of Gainesville. Muchas gracias.

Members don't see this ad.

I've no idea, but the girl giving my tour said that they'll send you a whole lot of housing options and info. if you're accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reminder that you must live within 15 minutes of the small animal hospital while you're on call as a 3rd year student.

Former G-ville resident...

You can also try www.apartmenthunters.com

As for traffic saturated...good luck! While it's not as bad as some cities, traffic around the university is ridiculous in the morning and afternoon/evening. There are a ton of condos and condo-converts all throughout gainesville, as well as houses for rent (some of them less spectacular than others of course...) Ideally you want to avoid the northeast portion of town (from the university area). It's also probably better to avoid the areas directly west of the vet school as well. Just heavily student populated and student-ghettoish.

Basically just try and get down to look before you lease anything. Cheaper housing can be found out in Jonesville, particularly some apartment/condo rentals. With planning any house is within the 15-min on-call timeframe, that is if it is going to be early morning or late evening. During the day there is barely any places that are within the timeframe.

I know this thread has been inactive for a while, but if any of you Gators are still looking for housing, I have a 2/2.5 townhouse with a small fenced in yard and situated away from major roads (but still really close to the vet school, butler plaza, oaks mall, etc.). Pets are allowed, as long as they get along with my dog and cat. =) Feel free to message me for more information. Spread the word, too....if you hear of anyone who may not be on SDN looking for housing, send them my way!

I know philomycus was having a hard time finding a place - might want to get in touch with him/her.

Craigslist - http://gainesville.craigslist.org/apa/. Oh and Blistex, here's the website for Watson that I was telling you about: http://www.gainesville-rent.com/WatsonRealtyPropertyMgmt. They have lots of houses / duplexes / townhouses for rent. If they are vacant you can just pick up the keys at the office and go check them out yourself. Otherwise they are pretty good about getting you in to see the places on short notice.

Definately make a trip up there and stay for a day or two. I'm sure you'll find something in no time. :)

I will probably be East of Gainesville in the Hawthorne area, due to the fact that my BF will be working in Jacksonville. I'll be over the 15 minute limit (it's about 25-30 minutes) but hopefully in the middle of the night I can haul ass and make up for it. ;)

Last edited:
I looked and looked for 6 weeks for a place that would accept my small zoo. A lot of places were ok with dogs, but were 'hating" on 4 cats. Some were fine with cats, but didn't allow dogs. After 6 weeks of searching and MANY trips to G'ville, I found a spot! Private rental of a house outside of G'ville. I knwo about the 15-20 minute distance thing for 3rd year, but if you can crash those nights with someone, then a little further is do-able! A weight of the world is now off me, I finally can relax! The one place I almost signed with allowed them, but then wanted me to sign a 3-year lease. Who signs a 3-year lease???? you never know what can happen in 3 yrs.

I looked and looked for 6 weeks for a place that would accept my small zoo. A lot of places were ok with dogs, but were 'hating" on 4 cats. Some were fine with cats, but didn't allow dogs. After 6 weeks of searching and MANY trips to G'ville, I found a spot! Private rental of a house outside of G'ville. I knwo about the 15-20 minute distance thing for 3rd year, but if you can crash those nights with someone, then a little further is do-able! A weight of the world is now off me, I finally can relax! The one place I almost signed with allowed them, but then wanted me to sign a 3-year lease. Who signs a 3-year lease???? you never know what can happen in 3 yrs.

congrats! I know a couple students who have crashed at fellows students houses when they are on call, so definitely a possibility! at least now you have the weight of finding a place to live off your shoulders!

My BF and I looovvvee Turkey Creek, an adorable community in south Alachua off of 441. We almost bought a house there but the loan fell through due to these new crappy strict laws (long story but I won't go there).

Anyway, there are several rentals to be found there, and it's only 15 minutes to school. Maybe 25 in bad traffic. It's really not bad at all.

The best way to find rentals there are craigslist or just drive around the community and look for the for rent signs.

Just signed a lease today in Gainesville! Due to my awesome dad (and his cunning skills), they waived: security deposit ($250), reservation fee ($250), initial pet fee ($100), first month's rent, and the $35 per month pet fee (I have a large labrador dog). It is a nice, quiet community about 1.5 miles from the vet school and Shands, with the bus route right in front. I got a one-bedroom apartment with lots of space and pretty good reviews. Perhaps next year I'll venture to have a rooomate/housemate but for now I don't want to risk having someone terrible for the first year. Thanks for all the help everyone!

awesome blistex!

I also just signed in Gville. Similarly, I was able to negotiate my way to no move in fees, one month free, and they are giving me 2-for-1 pet rent.

See you in August!