Housing near WesternU Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpmaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I will be entering WesternU this fall 2011. Since I will have no car, I was planning to stay on-campus/near-campus sort of housing. I'm completely new to the area and would greatly appreciate any feedback, suggestions, cautions, advice, etc.

1) I have heard mixed reviews about Helix Pomona Apartments. Could you please share your experience at the place, or if you have had friends that lived there. Don't forget to mention any specific problems you had there. (I'm currently planning to get a 2bed+bath and share it with two roommates. Currently also looking for a roommate to take the other individual room for $750 if anyone is interested.)

2) Do you have suggestions for another on-campus, near-campus housing available? If you have lived there or had friends lived there, please indicate any pros and cons.

I'm new to the student doctor forums. I'm hoping that I am posting the thread in the correct forum, if not please indicate so kindly, as it is my first time here.

Thank you,

-dpmaa

Members don't see this ad.

I currently live in the Helix as do I believe 6 others in the 2014 class. I know some are moving out and some are staying (including my wife and I).

Pros: you are right beside the school
The units are actually pretty nice
Super quiet
pet friendly
Utilities/cable/internet paid for (you pay electricity only)
Good sized bedrooms
Gated with FOB entry only
Nearly 100% students

Cons: the internet SUCKS! Luckily, my unit is closest to the school so I can log onto Western's internet
Expensive considering it's in Pomona
Did I mention it's in Pomona
Units don't have individual washers or dryers and the onsite laundry room is expensive
No dishwasher

I am glad, however, that my wife and I chose to live here instead of The Met. Those apartments are shady at best. Don't go there! If you are interested in the Helix, go ahead and get your deposit in by late June or early July because they book fast and actually over booked a few units last fall semester.

If you are looking for a roommate, check Western's banweb. There are listings for people looking for roommates. If you have any more questions at all regarding living situation, school, or anything else at all; please don't hesitate to shoot me a pm. I look forward to meeting you in August!

Zane

Last edited:
Zane is 100% right about the Helix and the Met. But, you probably want to get a car and live off campus...The helix is OK but the area is pretty shady...The rent is way overpriced. The rooms are real small too. If you had to live there go with the 1 or 2 bedroom.

I am just saying you may need a car to go to the grocery store/gym/mall/movies/whatever you like to do or rely on your friends. When school gets busy might have trouble with that...plus nothing is walking distance from campus :(

I know I would get cabin fever living there without a car. I had originally intended on staying at the Met because of convenience, but backed out last minute because of friends/online reviews.

I have a car and currently live 10 minutes away from campus in phillips ranch. Rent is $1400 for 2 bed + 2 bath 1008sq feet. It has its pros and cons, but I am happy here. I am gonna live in Claremont next year though (nicer college area)

Any questions? Let us know
Good Luck with your search!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I have got admission in western uni in pharm.d , i am also looking for a cheaper rooms at walking distance. i dont know any one there. i cant afford a car right now. do u know the current students who are residing there. can u give me some contact links to those students. i have my orientation on 5th of july. and still i do not know anything abt housing facilities near to western. i cant afford 750$ per month plus other charges. do u know some one who needs roommates near to college at walking distance.

Is the Metropolitan really as ghetto as it is portrayed along with the excessive noise?

Check out banweb for roomates and apartments.

Yes the Met is pretty ghetto. Some people like it some people don't.
My buddy just renewed his lease. 2 bed 1 bath for ~$950 free internet.
If you do live there live on the side closest to school.

Thanks for the insight...I hope it works out well lol

i am looking for an apartment that has washer & dryer inside. Can someone please give me some suggestion? Thanks.