Housing question for ICO people!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SearchSquad

Cool Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that living in the residential complex is convenient and a great way to get to know all your classmates. But for various reasons I feel the need to live in an apartment off campus.

There are two neighborhoods that I've been looking into: Lakeview and Hyde Park. Which is better to live in, and how do I find an affordable studio or one bedroom place? I am moving from Florida so it is going to be difficult to choose a place. I am probably going to take a trip to actually see some places, but I will have to use my time very carefully. I really need some advice on this one.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that living in the residential complex is convenient and a great way to get to know all your classmates. But for various reasons I feel the need to live in an apartment off campus.

There are two neighborhoods that I've been looking into: Lakeview and Hyde Park. Which is better to live in, and how do I find an affordable studio or one bedroom place? I am moving from Florida so it is going to be difficult to choose a place. I am probably going to take a trip to actually see some places, but I will have to use my time very carefully. I really need some advice on this one.

Thanks!!

My choice would be lakeview, but I'll admit to some bias since I live there and honestly haven't really spent more than a few hours in hyde park.

do you plan to drive to school? If so I would choose lakeview, but only if you find a place near an on-ramp to lakeshore drive. if you live far from lakeshore it could add a horrendous amount of time to your commute. I live right off lakeshore at belmont, and it never really takes more than 20 min to get to school at the height of the morning rush. I'm not sure how long it would take from hyde park, but I do notice that the traffic is much worse on lakeshore traveling north from hyde park than south from lakeview.

Generally, I'd say its much easier to get around the city when you live in lakeview; if I want to go shopping downtown I can either catch a 5min bus around the corner from my apartment or walk two blocks to the subway, from hyde park your options are limited since the subway doesn't even go to hyde park. Also, your classmates will be hanging out at bars, clubs, and cafes that are much more accessible from lakeview.

One critism I've heard of hyde park is that most of the restaurants and cafes close very early b/c the University of Chicago pretry much owns everything and limits business hours.

Try looking on craigslist, or one of the apartment finding services that will even drive you around and show you around some places:
http://www.apartmentpeople.com
http://www.chicagoapartmentfinders.com

Thanks!!

I'm probably not going to have a car. I'll take the el to school. Hyde Park really doesn't have a subway stop??? I guess that makes my choice easier.

I was leaning towards Lakeview anyway, but a friend from Chicago recommended Hyde Park because it's cheaper than Lakeview.

And I'm looking at those web sites right now...

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!!

I'm probably not going to have a car. I'll take the el to school. Hyde Park really doesn't have a subway stop??? I guess that makes my choice easier.

I was leaning towards Lakeview anyway, but a friend from Chicago recommended Hyde Park because it's cheaper than Lakeview.

And I'm looking at those web sites right now...

Thanks for the help!

ya, the subway stops are in areas just outside of Hyde park, and they're not very nice neighborhoods. It would probably be best to use the bus if you lived there. http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/systemmaps.html

But then again from lakeview the el probably takes about an hour, maybe longer lately with the construction that has been going on with the red line. You would have to take the red line to Roosevelt and transfer to the green line. Somthing to think about with all those 8AM tests every week.:(

You might also want to look at the south loop area. Its very close to school, lots of new construction. and if you lived near Roosevelt you could just take the green line 5-10ming to the next stop. Probably not as happening areas as Hyde park or Lakeview, but one of the easier off campus places to live, but a little pricey.

i will also be going to ico this fall and will not be living on campus. i am living in lakeview right now and love the area. there are so many great restaurants, coffee shops, stores....it's just a very happening place. im also right by the lake....easy access for biking and running when the weather is nice.

the commute is a draw-back but i think im willing to sacrifice being on campus for all of the above. if you have any more questions about the area, let me know.