1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Housing Stipend

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by sethco, Apr 23, 2004.

1. sethco

sethco Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Somebdy told me that certain programs (in OB/GYN) in cities with higher costs of living (i.e. New York, Boston, San Fran, etc.) will give their residents housing stipend. Has anybody heard of this with any of the Anesthesia programs?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Skrubz

Skrubz Not your scut monkey
    7+ Year Member

UCSF and stanford both give housing stipends. don't know anything about the east coast.

4. BeefyRedEye

BeefyRedEye Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Cornell provides housing to its residents at a substantial discount in 4 buildings adjacent to the hospital. Its wonderful being able to go from bed-OR in 5 minutes. Taking call from home is another bonus :D

5. C.P.

C.P. Slacker
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Columbia gives out something like 3k for a housing subsidy. I'm not exactly sure about hte way it works, but I believe this is how programs in more expensive areas compensate since (again, I think) there is a limit on how much they can give out in pure salary to the residents.

6. Skrubz

Skrubz Not your scut monkey
    7+ Year Member

stanford university hospital gives out a one-time housing stipend/moving allowance of $3000 (pre-tax). the anesthesia department gives out an additional $2400 annually (pre-tax) for housing. or so i recall from my interview materials.

7. voltron

voltron Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This one school on the east coast buys you an apartment anywhere you want. They also pay for ultilities, water/sewer, heat, groceries, bar tabs, haricuts, bikini waxes, tire rotations, and a new pair of Jordans every year.

8. docsleep

docsleep Junior Member

Voltron, you are a riot! I'm so jealous b/c I especially would like those complementary bikini waxes. Too bad...I have a program that only gives me more money than I've ever made in my whole life (considering I went from college to med school).

Congratulations. :)

9. BareFoot

BareFoot Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i will be starting residency at ucsf and have not heard of any housing stipend. there is a one time relocation stipend ($2400 or so) but i'm not sure when they give it to us....anyone know anymore about the housing stipend at ucsf or is this wishful thinking?