Housing -UCONN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neeky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
any UCONN class of 2006 peeps out there? if so lets share our housing strategies....where, what type of housing, etc... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

neeky I sent you a private message!
:D

Hey GradMS,

Have you called UConn about your status? Is UConn where you really want to go?

Trying to get to know my classmates for the fall. So far there's neeky and I going to UConn.

Margaret

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be attending UConn this next year. The wife and I will be doing the condo thing, figuring that mortgage costs will be similar if not exactly the same as rent. Prices aren't exactly cheap though-I'm looking in Farmington, West Hartford, Southington, Newington...I've heard that New Britain is a bit questionable, but I suppose that's compared to the ultra-security you get in Farmington or Avon where the mean income is something like 300,000/yr. Ill be going up to the area during spring break to check prices (I'm from TN). Look forward to seeing you guys up there. From what I hear...we're in for some tough times-should be fun! Where are all of you from?

Hey neeky and jon,

Have you guys received any more correspondence from UConn since the one about summer research? Do we have to start collecting teeth like some of the others? Are either of you doing research this summer? I'm waiting till mext summer.

Margaret

Howdy,

My name is John and I will also be attending UConn this year. I am interested in finding out what others will be doing for housing. I have considered buying, but I don't know what exactly is available in that area (and in my price range). If anyone has info. on condos or houses for sale, please let me know. Looking forward to school. :D

Hey there Margaret...good to see you!
I havent received anything else from UConn either. Ive actually been surprised at how little correspondence I have received in general...most other schools to which I got accepted sent me much more to read (handbooks etc.) with the acceptance. I am waiting until next summer to do research as well; Im not too worried about getting that ahead of myself.

John-I dont know what your price range is, but I have found a bunch of property in the area in the $75-100K range (my range), which translates to about $700-800/month for a condo with HOA fees. Houses are less per month b/c of no HOA, but from what I have seen, for the price it is hard to find a house that is not a real fixer-upper, which is something I know I will have zero time for in the next four years. Some may disagree, but as I see it, the condo thing is hard to beat (if you want to buy).

Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Hey all!!

good to see there are more of us out there! ok, about the whole UCONN thing, not sending us anything!! I am soo upset about that. So as for now, i am not collecting teeth.I have really even begun second guessing my choice, if this is how supportive/helpful they are in the beginning, then who kows what they will be like when we get there. Sorry for the drama, but its pretty irksome.
as for housing, you all seem to be real adults looking to "buy." Am i the only kid looking to rent :( ? I hope not...anyways it seems like the whole area is pretty pricey.. I did check out the mall in Farmington, its nice and has all the necessary things.
I am also waiting on the research, mostly because of the fact i probably would not have my housing settled yet

Keep posting your progress, i can't wait to meet you all this fall!!!!

JonR, Thanks for your reply. Could you provide me with more information on the condos you mentioned? This is also my price range, but I've been too busy to start searching for anything. Thanks so much.

rowjimmi-
A good place to start is prudentialct.com. They have a search feature that will list property in the area according to your criteria (including price). Ive been talking with a realtor in Farmington about property, and as you will see when you search, there are condos available in that range. I dont have specific names of places, but the search will give you that, as well as HOA fees, property taxes, etc.

i'm not a dental student but i am from CT. you may want to also look at bloomfield and simsbury. if you have kids (i can never tell how old people are on this) go for west hartford or simsbury which are the top 2 school systems in the state. wherever you end up try your best to avoid I-84 on your commute to the school (it clogs up easily).

called UCONN and got some info,
they will be sending a list of housing available and people looking for roomates in April.
I also asked about the lack of packets and info being sent to us, the woman i spoke with said they used to do that, but they don't try to keep up with the large universities who send their students piles of forms and information....

West Hartford seems like a good option; the housing prices are lower than those in Farmington, it is close to the Health Center, crime is low, and it seems just as "nice". That is one place I will be looking closely.