how a DO would differ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizza1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For treatment of people with disabilities and depression how would a DO treat the patient compared to an MD?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going into PM&R. I think that my willingness to put my hands on a patient is probably the most valuable tool. Maybe my OMT abilities will help...maybe they won't. But they are an extra tool in my toolbag that an MD typically doesn't have. Would my approach differ significantly? Probably not. Very little of the OMT-voodoo is based on literature, so most DO's I know, myself included, use OMT as an adjunct to scientifically based treatments.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going into PM&R. I think that my willingness to put my hands on a patient is probably the most valuable tool. Maybe my OMT abilities will help...maybe they won't. But they are an extra tool in my toolbag that an MD typically doesn't have. Would my approach differ significantly? Probably not. Very little of the OMT-voodoo is based on literature, so most DO's I know, myself included, use OMT as an adjunct to scientifically based treatments.

I realllllly don't mean to hijack this thread, but would you mind if I PM'd you about PM&R? I have a huge interest in it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I realllllly don't mean to hijack this thread, but would you mind if I PM'd you about PM&R? I have a huge interest in it!

No problem.

I think that my willingness to put my hands on a patient is probably the most valuable tool.

In no way does this post make you sound like a sexual deviant...

Reactions: 1 users
In no way does this post make you sound like a sexual deviant...

I've seen students and even residents who are uncomfortable touching a patient. It's kind of awkward and a barrier to get over for some people. Relax bro

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've seen students and even residents who are uncomfortable touching a patient. It's kind of awkward and a barrier to get over for some people. Relax bro

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In no way is your lack of a sense of humor very obvious...

I felt that maybe aside from the extra OMT tool, maybe a DO would focus on more patient centered approaches and biopsychosocial factors taken into consideration? Not too sure....

I felt that maybe aside from the extra OMT tool, maybe a DO would focus on more patient centered approaches and biopsychosocial factors taken into consideration? Not too sure....

In general, schools are going to teach very similar content in a very similar way, regardless of if they are DO or MD. For the most part what you are asking about is going to come down to the individual.

They would tell the patient to eat pizza.... but look at and stud the pizza in its entirety.... to look at the WHOLE pizza as what it is... as an intricate being that is not just a pizza... but a thick (or thin depending on your preference) sheet of dough... topped and sprinkled with mounds of cheese... and then bombarded with toppings... but what toppings? We don't know... because everybody is DIFFERENT.

AND THAT.... is how DOs approach depression OP.

Good.. yummy....

pizza.

Reactions: 1 user
Having practiced with MD & DO both in mental health.

Most MD's I know would prescribe an antidepressant and maybe ~20% would rec psychotherapy along with it.

About ~25% of the DO's I know would just prescribe an antidepressant, ~50% would prescribe and recommend psychotherapy and ~25% would suggest psychotherapy to begin with instead. The disability might benefit from OMM.

I don't personally know of any DO that uses OMM to treat depression, but some could depending on the disability.

Reactions: 6 users
They would tell the patient to eat pizza.... but look at and stud the pizza in its entirety.... to look at the WHOLE pizza as what it is... as an intricate being that is not just a pizza... but a thick (or thin depending on your preference) sheet of dough... topped and sprinkled with mounds of cheese... and then bombarded with toppings... but what toppings? We don't know... because everybody is DIFFERENT.

AND THAT.... is how DOs approach depression OP.

Good.. yummy....

pizza.

LOL yes I finally got it! A fine description tailored to my food of choice haha :)

Don't know about disabilities, but for mental health issues, and based upon my own personal experience with DOs and MDs, and NOT drinking the Kool-aid, a DO will listen to the patient more, ask more questions, and be less likely to simply stare at the computer monitor and say "Here's your 'scrip for Zoloft, go see Pharmacy A on your way out".

On the flip side, I've learned that when any of my DO colleagues start the "We're different" or "We're more patient-centric" or "We've got something special" memes, I knee-jerk ask "Data?" or, if I'm in a foul mood, "Prove it".

For treatment of people with disabilities and depression how would a DO treat the patient compared to an MD?

Having practiced with MD & DO both in mental health.

Most MD's I know would prescribe an antidepressant and maybe ~20% would rec psychotherapy along with it.

About ~25% of the DO's I know would just prescribe an antidepressant, ~50% would prescribe and recommend psychotherapy and ~25% would suggest psychotherapy to begin with instead. The disability might benefit from OMM.

I don't personally know of any DO that uses OMM to treat depression, but some could depending on the disability.

The DO I shadow uses OMM for depression! I haven't seen it but I asked about it because I was extremely curious. He said most people tend to have something going on with the left side of their rib cage. But there are cases he can't treat with OMM in which case he will write a prescription.

Reactions: 1 user
The DO I shadow uses OMM for depression! I haven't seen it but I asked about it because I was extremely curious. He said most people tend to have something going on with the left side of their rib cage. But there are cases he can't treat with OMM in which case he will write a prescription.
I'd love to see the research and info on that! Maybe he could offer links?

I've had quite a bit of discussion with DO friends and most have felt omm to be not really suited for depression or most of mental illness tx unless there was a comorbid physical issue.

I do know of some chiropractors that claim to cure it, but of the pts I've seen that had such they felt better for approx 2 treatments and then were worse off than before.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk