How accurate are these salary figures for Optometrists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenstyle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
stevec said:
Looks accurate to me.
this is pretty accurate, however, you have to realize that it takes into account all optometrists (part time workers, full time etc), so the salary is higher if you work full time and over time, I think it's ranges from $100,000 up to $600,000, depends what kind of office setting you are working for. Hope this helps ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
huskyeyes said:
...you have to realize that it takes into account all optometrists (part time workers, full time etc), so the salary is higher if you work full time and over time, I think it's ranges from $100,000 up to $600,000
You don't actually know how they got their data. You're just guessing. If you're making 600,000, you're making above and beyond an optometrist's salary way before that level. The income would be coming from other sources and therefore shouldn't be considered "optometry." For example, if five optometrists make 300,000 a year, and 200,000 a year comes from investments in real estate, it would be misleading to tell some kid they are compensated 300,000 a year as optometrists.

stevec said:
You don't actually know how they got their data. You're just guessing. If you're making 600,000, you're making above and beyond an optometrist's salary way before that level. The income would be coming from other sources and therefore shouldn't be considered "optometry." For example, if five optometrists make 300,000 a year, and 200,000 a year comes from investments in real estate, it would be misleading to tell some kid they are compensated 300,000 a year as optometrists.
there's a guy in Northern Virginia that has a million dollar practice. it's not impossible, but highly unlikely.

blazenmadison said:
there's a guy in Northern Virginia that has a million dollar practice. it's not impossible, but highly unlikely.
Does he make that off seeing patients personally? Is that the total income for a group practice? I find this hard to believe unless nobody uses insurance, he charges $300 for an eye exam, and sells 24 carrat gold frames with diamonds.

blazenmadison said:

Maybe a million dollar GROSS practice, but one million dollars NET is highly unlikely ...unless of course he has like 10 employed OD's producing RX's to sell frames.

jefguth said:
Maybe a million dollar GROSS practice, but one million dollars NET is highly unlikely ...unless of course he has like 10 employed OD's producing RX's to sell frames.
yea it's gross and he has 2 OD's working for him. i'm just saying some OD's do very well and some don't. plus everything's inflated in the area.. :cool:

I spoke to an OD that said that he makes about 60-70, but he worked part time in two companies.