How am I doing thus far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

Starting my sophomore year. Freshman year I finished with a 3.35 gpa but withdrew from biology 1 first semester than retook it second semester and withdrew again. Changed from bio major to chem major. Now this semester taking organic chem 1, Calc 1, and many other classes. Not taking any biology and don't plan to take any second semester too. This year I am on a mission to doing better. I want to get a strong upward trend going in my grades. I have a good grip on all my classes except for biology. Freshman summer got two hospital volunteer opportunities for long term and found an Osteopathic Family Physician who let me shadow him for the full summer 2-3 a day once a week and he will allow me for long term and for future summer ahead. This school year plan on volunteering at a different hospital near school, a clinic, and applied for some part time casual jobs at the hospital. Also looking for shadowing opportunity if I can find any. How am I looking? Any advice? Any suggestions on what else I can do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
So are you ever going to take biology 1?

Reactions: 2 users
I think there's a chance there might be some biology in med school...

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean if all medical school require bio than I guess yea I will have to take it at some point. Do all medical schools require biology?

Why on earth do you want to be a doctor if you have to be dragged kicking and screaming to take a single biology class? Do you not want to take physiology, patho, pharmacology, etc.? If the answer is a resounding "NO!", then you should reconsider your career goals.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes eventually again but not sure when again due to fear of not doing well in it after having a bad experience with it. Any suggestion guys???
There is bio on the mcat and most prereqs. In medical school, it will be 4 years of bio. What will you do about those?

Why on earth do you want to be a doctor if you have to be dragged kicking and screaming to take a single biology class? Do you not want to take physiology, patho, pharmacology, etc.? If the answer is a resounding "NO!", then you should reconsider your career goals.

I mean I enjoy the subject but I felt like I didn't put in that much time into it. I do want to be a doctor, not sure if I should give up on this dream of mine.

I mean I enjoy the subject but I felt like I didn't put in that much time into it. I do want to be a doctor, not sure if I should give up on this dream of mine.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go into medicine, I'm saying that you should think long and hard about why you want it. I don't think there are many people who have been successful on this path who either dislike biology or don't give a **** about it. If you prefer chemistry, become a chemist! Withdrawing from it twice should probably tell you something, unless it was somehow just a scheduling issue both times.

Assuming that you don't hate biology, why did you withdraw the first time? Why did you take it the second time? Why did you withdraw the second time? I suspect that your answers to these questions might reveal how you actually feel about the subject

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go into medicine, I'm saying that you should think long and hard about why you want it. I don't think there are many people who have been successful on this path who either dislike biology or don't give a **** about it. If you prefer chemistry, become a chemist! Withdrawing from it twice should probably tell you something, unless it was somehow just a scheduling issue both times.

Assuming that you don't hate biology, why did you withdraw the first time? Why did you take it the second time? Why did you withdraw the second time? I suspect that your answers to these questions might reveal how you actually feel about the subject

Withdrew first time cause my grade was really bad and didn't want it to destroy my GPA. Can't recall why second time but found myself falling behind again.

Take it when you can devote more time to it

Yes well said. Also working harder this year and want to improve my study habits and take it to another level. Meaning putting more time into all my subjects and seeing if I can get even better results.

Yes well said. Also working harder this year and want to improve my study habits and take it to another level. Meaning putting more time into all my subjects and seeing if I can get even better results.

You said you also switched from a bio major to chem. Was this not because you just liked it much more? It's usually a lot easier to study for something you enjoy, and I haven't ever heard of someone genuinely finding biology 101 significantly harder than chem 101 (and taking orgo as a sophmore while avoiding bio 101 to save their GPA). From what you described it really sounds like you're much more interested in, and better at chemistry. I'm just saying this because I know a lot of people like to have an end-goal, and becoming a doctor is a convenient one that everyone is familiar with.

But yes, if you want to pursue medicine you'll have to take bio 101, probably biochemistry, and study physiology at least for the MCAT. You'll find out when you take these whether or not this path is really for you.

You said you also switched from a bio major to chem. Was this not because you just liked it much more? It's usually a lot easier to study for something you enjoy, and I haven't ever heard of someone genuinely finding biology 101 significantly harder than chem 101 (and taking orgo as a sophmore while avoiding bio 101 to save their GPA). From what you described it really sounds like you're much more interested in, and better at chemistry. I'm just saying this because I know a lot of people like to have an end-goal, and becoming a doctor is a convenient one that everyone is familiar with.

But yes, if you want to pursue medicine you'll have to take bio 101, probably biochemistry, and study physiology at least for the MCAT. You'll find out when you take these whether or not this path is really for you.

Yes I find chemistry to be easier than biology.

But don't all medical school require some biology so if I apply to schools without any biology than that is not good right?

But don't all medical school require some biology so if I apply to schools without any biology than that is not good right?
Again. What will you do about mcat??? And yes most require bio.

I don't want to be rude but just nut up and take bio 1. Put more effort into the class, bio 1 is a class everyone is capable of doing really really well in if they just put in some study time.

Maybe bio 101 is too basic/boring? Try taking a more interesting advanced course

If not this year when should I reattempt the biology??? Summer??? Junior Year??? Please advice me!

If not this year when should I reattempt the biology??? Summer??? Junior Year??? Please advice me!
I would say as soon as you can reasonable fit it in. You wanna knock out those pre reqs but make sure you don't overload them one semester