How am I doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chemistry major

GPA: 3.95

EC's: Volunteered at the soup kitchen for one year
Volunteered with big brothers/sisters for one year
~300 hours of clinical volunteering
100 hours of shadowing
President of a club
Ambassador leader at the hospital
-No research

Future plans include joining the peace-corps (If I can get accepted). Where do you guys think I can improve?

Members don't see this ad.

GPA: 3.95
What year in school?

EC's: Volunteered at the soup kitchen for one year
Volunteered with big brothers/sisters for one year
~300 hours of clinical volunteering
Solid

100 hours of shadowing
President of a club
Ambassador leader at the hospital
Solid

-No research
An issue for the most competitive/well known schools, but not so much for admissions generally.

peace-corps
Very solid

Where do you guys think I can improve?
What kinds of med schools are you interested in? Service oriented? Prestigious research powerhouses? Inexpensive local public school?

Reactions: 1 user
About to be finished with second year. Shooting for any school I can get admitted into :). I don't know if I should take the MCAT before I join the peace-corps or when I come back.. If the peace-corps accepts me.. I heard it's very selective.

I'm trying to put together the best possible application before applying.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you guys think I can improve?
Make sure to take some time to reflect on what the EC's mean to you and make sure you're deriving some sort of enjoyment from them so 1) you won't burn out and 2) you'll have good essay fodder.

Make sure to take some time to reflect on what the EC's mean to you and make sure you're deriving some sort of enjoyment from them so 1) you won't burn out and 2) you'll have good essay fodder.
Yeah, I need to reflect. Everything I've done on my application I was actually passionate about. Freshman year I did not understand the importance of actually having some sort of passion for the EC's I did.

I don't know if I should take the MCAT before I join the peace-corps or when I come back.. If the peace-corps accepts me..

If I'm not mistaken, joining the peace corps would require several months of basic training and a 2-year commitment. If that's true, then you should take the MCAT afterwards, because most schools consider MCAT scores 'expired' if it's been more than three years since you've taken it.

If I'm not mistaken, joining the peace corps would require several months of basic training and a 2-year commitment. If that's true, then you should take the MCAT afterwards, because most schools consider MCAT scores 'expired' if it's been more than three years since you've taken it.
That's what I was thinking as well