How am I doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnumber24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im in the middle of my 2nd semester in college. I'm planning on being an English major chemistry minor and Im also pre-med. These were my grades my first semester:

Chemistry- W
English- A-
Greek civilization- C
Calculus I- W
First year seminar- A

Yes i know I got two W's but they were because I got behind early due to a hangover from senior year of high school and trying to adjust to college and make new friends. But I'm doing a little better now and studying to the best of my ability even though the laziness comes back here and there. This semester so far I'm haedeed towards:

Chemistry- B+
English-A-
History- A
Calculus- B-
Chem lab- B+
Psychology- A-

Not the best grades out there but I'm trying and putting in alot of effort and sacrificing alot of time hanging out with friends so I can hopefully make my dream of being a physician come true one day. along with those grades I have an A-, and a B+ transfered from college courses I took in high school. And this semester im also volunteering 4 hours a week at a local hospital and I have 247 hours of prior volunteer work from volunteering in The ER of a different hospital before I started college. So how am i doing? and how are my grades?

Thanks

PS: Im planning on taking the 2nd part of general chemistry and the lab along with another class over the summer so i can take biology and organic chemistry in the fall along with another english class. that will total 13 credits. Is this a good plan/track? and is bio and orgo together a good idea? any advice thoughts and insight would be highly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

247 hours of prior volunteer work from volunteering in The ER of a different hospital before I started college.

Those won't count on your med school application fyi.

Chemistry- W
English- A-
Greek civilization- C
Calculus I- W
First year seminar- A

Yes i know I got two W's but they were because I got behind early due to a hangover from senior year of high school and trying to adjust to college and make new friends. But I'm doing a little better now and studying to the best of my ability even though the laziness comes back here and there. This semester so far I'm haedeed towards:

Chemistry- B+
English-A-
History- A
Calculus- B-
Chem lab- B+
Psychology- A-

Your sample bias is so low that it's insignificant. Do you want somebody to come on here and shout "rah rah! you're doing just fine! 3.5 = acceptance!"? Well you'll probably get some pollyanna's here, but right now in science you have 2 withdraws and a 3.0 average. That ain't gonna cut it. Naturally you'll be able to start taking bio soon and maybe you'll get a couple A's there...gen chem ii might be easier to get an A in in the summer but med schools will know that...and then you'll have orgo (which you know won't be a walk in the park), and physics (which from your calculus experience it seems you probably won't have an easy time with).
take biology and organic chemistry in the fall along with another english class. that will total 13 credits. Is this a good plan/track?

You'll need to take one more course along with those (taking 3 courses in a semester is ridiculous). Just look for an easy A (think Sociology...anthropology...music...etc...ask around at your school).

Like I said--it's way too early for anybody to be giving you a blessing or a death sentence. But you need to shoot for a 3.5 science GPA and you're not on target to do that right now. Adcoms will probably expect your cumulative GPA to be a little higher because of that English major (sucks, but it's true). Keep working hard and maybe raise the bar a little bit--you said you've made some changes and hopefully those will show in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're screwd. Now you will have to become a janitor. :D

Jokin. Just continue to show an upward trend in your GPA and rock the MCAT.

Good luck!
DD

Hey guys im in the middle of my 2nd semester in college. I'm planning on being an English major chemistry minor and Im also pre-med. These were my grades my first semester:

Chemistry- W
English- A-
Greek civilization- C
Calculus I- W
First year seminar- A

Chemistry- B+
English-A-
History- A
Calculus- B-
Chem lab- B+
Psychology- A-

Not the best grades out there but I'm trying and putting in alot of effort and sacrificing alot of time hanging out with friends so I can hopefully make my dream of being a physician come true one day. along with those grades I have an A-, and a B+ transfered from college courses I took in high school. And this semester im also volunteering 4 hours a week at a local hospital and I have 247 hours of prior volunteer work from volunteering in The ER of a different hospital before I started college. So how am i doing? and how are my grades?

Thanks

PS: Im planning on taking the 2nd part of general chemistry and the lab along with another class over the summer so i can take biology and organic chemistry in the fall along with another english class. that will total 13 credits. Is this a good plan/track? and is bio and orgo together a good idea? any advice thoughts and insight would be highly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I would try to bring up those grades

I mean, if you figure out your GPA, that'll be around a 3.5 right? so that's not too bad

You need to make As in the rest of your courses to have a shot.

are you being serious? I mean besides that C he looks fine for his first year. heck, I'm a freshman too and I've got similar grades except no C and no Ws

Originally Posted by amwatts0322

are you being serious? I mean besides that C he looks fine for his first year. heck, I'm a freshman too and I've got similar grades except no C and no Ws
user_online.gif

I think it was a joke. The OP has a 3.0 science GPA right now which isn't sufficient. But like I said before, and what everybody's pretty much said on here--it's way way way too early to tell.

I mean...what advice can the OP possibly expect but "W's aren't good. You should try to get A's. 3.5 is generally the low-target for cumulative and science GPA."

I was joking, but I would say he definitely has to improve...Cs are bad...too many Ws are bad....Mostly Bs are bad.

O FYI..drinking tickets, cheating offenses, blah blah blah...these are also bad.

Yes you need clinical experience
No you dont need a 36 MCAT
No you dont need research

I was talking to a few pre-med advisors. As long as you show a general upward trend and improvement in grades, you are fine. This will show that you have the effort and skill to work hard in the face of adversity. In addition, don't forget that your ECs (medical and non-medical) as well as the MCAT do count for something. Finally, the AMCAS has the personal statement, which will give med schools another dimension to understand and evaluate you. In other words, you cannot change the past, but you can definitely improve for the future by working hard and staying focus on your school work. Good luck with everything !!