How am i doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovedocta07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im applying next summer (2010), was wondering if i could get some advice/ suggestions on things to work on before then.

sGPA:3.76
cGPA:3.80
all other GPA:3.95

MCAT: not yet taken, planing on sometime next year

EC's:

-research two different labs/(clinical research/physiology)
(expecting two or three more papers by the time i apply)
-hospital volunteering (E.R/ICU/clinics other departments)
(800+ hours...started when i was in high school)
-clinical experience (E.R:EKG's, blood work, vitals/shadowing)
-coordinator of a research internship
-deans list
-helping homeless community
-president of non profit club
-tutor (organic chemistry/general chemistry)
-several campus clubs
-international hospital volunteering
-other fun stuff...

Im a CA resident, any information about which schools to apply to would be great.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys im applying next summer (2010), was wondering if i could get some advice/ suggestions on things to work on before then.

sGPA:3.76
cGPA:3.80
all other GPA:3.95

MCAT: not yet taken, planing on sometime next year

EC's:

-research two different labs/(clinical research/physiology)
(expecting two or three more papers by the time i apply)
-hospital volunteering (E.R/ICU/clinics other departments)
(800+ hours...started when i was in high school)
-clinical experience (E.R:EKG's, blood work, vitals/shadowing)
-coordinator of a research internship
-deans list
-helping homeless community
-president of non profit club
-tutor (organic chemistry/general chemistry)
-several campus clubs
-international hospital volunteering
-other fun stuff...

Im a CA resident, any information about which schools to apply to would be great.

Thank You

You are an excellent candidate thus far. Any further advice depends on the MCAT. As a minimum requirement, you will need a 29 to have a legit shot at the 'low' tier schools in the US.

Assuming you want to stay in Cali, a 35 makes you competitive at all the Cali schools, and an excellent candidate at Davis and Irvine, and of course Keck and Loma Linda (beware continuous praying). No one is really a "lock" at UCSF, UCSD, or Stanford, but 3.8/35 would make you a strong candidate for sure.

I don't think you really need to worry about where you would be a good candidate right now. Focus on the MCAT and destroy it. Like I said, a 35 rounds out your strong application for both in Cali, and more or less any school of your choice.

P.S. Other fun stuff? lol?

Except for no mentioned physician shadowing, your ECs look strong, especially if you'l have some publications to list. You've done a great job of keeping your GPA up. It's premature to generate a school list, as it will be very different if you get an MCAT of 27 vs 37. Since you are reading SDN well ahead of time, you have a year to explore various schools in terms of weather, cost-of-living in the area and city safety, type of curriculum, friendliness of administration, etc. By doing so it will be easier when the time comes to pick among several acceptances based on factors important to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Except for no mentioned physician shadowing, your ECs look strong, especially if you'l have some publications to list. You've done a great job of keeping your GPA up. It's premature to generate a school list, as it will be very different if you get an MCAT of 27 vs 37. Since you are reading SDN well ahead of time, you have a year to explore various schools in terms of weather, cost-of-living in the area and city safety, type of curriculum, friendliness of administration, etc. By doing so it will be easier when the time comes to pick among several acceptances based on factors important to you.

Hah yeah, im trying to study a lot on my own, i might take the mcat april or may, hopefully i get 35+ (which i doubt..not very good at verbal), but yeah i did a lot of physician shadowing over the last 4-5 summers maybe 120 hrs (ER/internal med).

Any other suggestions? Any med schools that are cali friendly (besides the ones in CA)?

i hear ohio texas ny and penn are good places to apply oos.. use the excel spreadsheet stickied at the top of this subforum for specific schools

Also Rosalind Franklin, UIllinois, Loyola, Rush.

Yeah, I keep seeing posted here that Rush is OOS unfriendly, but they took 21 out of 128 OOSers, or 16.4%, which seems worth a try to me, but maybe not to others. Uillinois takes about 24%. Loyola and RF closer to 50% as I recall.

Yeah, I keep seeing posted here that Rush is OOS unfriendly, but they took 21 out of 128 OOSers, or 16.4%, which seems worth a try to me, but maybe not to others. Uillinois takes about 24%. Loyola and RF closer to 50% as I recall.

Yeah, 16% sure beats a lot of schools. Good to know!

hey guys any other suggestions for unique extra curriculars? im really not sure how i stand out compared to a lot of people on this site

thanks

You're president of a nonprofit. Expand the activities of the club. Raise money. Do wonderful things with it. Expand your membership. Lead more people. Be sure the club is solid enough to continue in your absence. This is something that could be developed into a WOW-factor.