How are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmr5769

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took the DAT today and I'm really happy with my scores but I want to know how good my chances at admission are. 23 AA, 21 PAT, 22 QR, 22 RC, 24 GC, 21 OC, 23 BIO. I'm in biomedical engineering with a 3.88 GPA overall. I haven't shadowed as much as a lot of other people (spent several days in an general dentists office last summer and a day with an endodontist) so I'm a little worried that might hurt my chances. I've worked in a research lab since my freshman year on biomaterials research but I'm not sure if that will help at all or not. If I could go anywhere it'd be Maryland; how are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

DAT is great. I would gauge the amount of shadowing with how well of an understanding you have of the field. I assisted for my shadowing, so I got a well rounded understanding of the field and
More importantly a realistic view of the field. It's hard work, a lot of prep, and not just procedures. If you understand that and are still happy and can see yourself doing it. I think you have done enough shadowing.

Some schools had some hard minimums on the amount of shadowing. So you may need more for them.

100 hours is usually good. I had about 120.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You will get in Without any worries

Reactions: 1 users
You're in a great position, not just with your stats. Worst case scenario, you have that bme degree to fall back on if you're ever so inclined..that automatically gives you a leg up on the typical drivel of pre-health bio majors

Just get some more volunteering and shadowing in and you'll be golden

You've proven you can handle the academic rigor of dental school.. now prove that you want to be a dentist.