How are my chances???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental 2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international students( From South Korea) and I have been here for three years. I heard that it is harder to get into dental school as an international student. So, I am scared that I have to wait another year to re-apply for dental school. Here are what I did and I am doing now for dental school:

-I am working as Biology Tutor on campus (I have been working as tutor for about 1 1/2 years)
-I am also working as Teaching Assistance(TA). I taught Human and Anatomy lab last semester. I am teaching general biology for summer session. I will be TA for cell biology next semester.
- I have research experience for about 130 hours. ( I am still working)
-I am shadowing one of local dentist ( about 100 hours and still shadowing)
-I have 3.9 GPA overall, and 3.9 Science GPA.

One thing that I am worry about is the application.
I am trying to fill everything for EC/volunteer/Activity. I have only five or six out of ten( max). Should I use a really formal sentence when I briefly explain about what I did or what I am doing????

I have another question here:
I am in Dental Club, but I really did not do anything. We just had several guest speaker and I just attended there and listened to them. So, should I put that in as EC???

What should I get on my DAT to get chances????

Thank you guys,
I am stressed out. There are too many things to do.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine as long as you can get a 20 or above.

Hey, I mean, I am an international myself and I got in. My GPA is way lower than yours too.

Hello, my Korean friend.
Most of private schools don't care about your status. Only public ones accept 1~3 people a year.
I guess you are grad student?
Is that 3.9 undergrad GPA? or post-grad GPA?
If it's former, you are fine with DAT of 18 or above to get in somewhere.
If it's latter and the undergrad GPA is somewhat low, you may need 20.

Just don't bother to apply to public schools with history of accepting very few international students.
I recommend adding NYU, BU, USC, UoP, Tuft, Case, Nova to your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine as long as you can get a 20 or above.

Hey, I mean, I am an international myself and I got in. My GPA is way lower than yours too.

Hi. jigabodo.
one question for you. I called University of Louisville twice to make sure that they require TOEFL scores from international students and the answer was YES. She said no matter how long you've stayed in the us or what degrees you've earned in the us, if you are international, you must have toefl score. Did they ask you to take the toefl?

Thanks jigabodo!

Hi. jigabodo.
one question for you. I called University of Louisville twice to make sure that they require TOEFL scores from international students and the answer was YES. She said no matter how long you've stayed in the us or what degrees you've earned in the us, if you are international, you must have toefl score. Did they ask you to take the toefl?

Thanks jigabodo!

Nope. I already took mine when I first got to the States.

No, I am a undergraduate student. (3.9GPA is for my undergraduate, I am a junior)
Do dental schools want to have a student who have a lot of EC, volunteer, etc???
I only have five out of ten(max).. are my EC, research experience, shadowing enough to get into a dental school????

There are only 24 hours a day.
How in the hell can anyone manage to do 10 ECs?
Just get 18 or above on DAT, you will be fine.
I guess you went to a teukmok high school in Korea?

I am an international students( From South Korea) and I have been here for three years. I heard that it is harder to get into dental school as an international student. So, I am scared that I have to wait another year to re-apply for dental school. Here are what I did and I am doing now for dental school:

-I am working as Biology Tutor on campus (I have been working as tutor for about 1 1/2 years)
-I am also working as Teaching Assistance(TA). I taught Human and Anatomy lab last semester. I am teaching general biology for summer session. I will be TA for cell biology next semester.
- I have research experience for about 130 hours. ( I am still working)
-I am shadowing one of local dentist ( about 100 hours and still shadowing)
-I have 3.9 GPA overall, and 3.9 Science GPA.

One thing that I am worry about is the application.
I am trying to fill everything for EC/volunteer/Activity. I have only five or six out of ten( max). Should I use a really formal sentence when I briefly explain about what I did or what I am doing????

I have another question here:
I am in Dental Club, but I really did not do anything. We just had several guest speaker and I just attended there and listened to them. So, should I put that in as EC???

What should I get on my DAT to get chances????

Thank you guys,
I am stressed out. There are too many things to do.
If you got 3.9 GPA, then you should be ok on DAT since the GPA should correlate with DAT unless you come from grade-inflating institution.

There are only 24 hours a day.
How in the hell can anyone manage to do 10 ECs?
Just get 18 or above on DAT, you will be fine.
I guess you went to a teukmok high school in Korea?

1. Heads up: As an international applicant many schools will be focusing on your RC score on the DAT.
2. 10+ ECs come from leaving the library occasionally. Some schools prefer a GPA that has been compromised by an attitude of serving others eg. don't apply to schools like ASDOH without STELLAR ECs and being able to define "public health". The common complaint that the public has about dentists is that "they charge to much and don't give anything back-" so the attempt is to get all the pre-dents to figure out what real service is before they get too comfortable as a professional.

Nope. I already took mine when I first got to the States.

So, did you submit that toefl score to University of Louisville with your supplementary applicaiton? Mine that I took when I first got to the states is now too old...That's about 7 years ago...I am not sure if they care how old the toefl score is..

So, did you submit that toefl score to University of Louisville with your supplementary applicaiton? Mine that I took when I first got to the states is now too old...That's about 7 years ago...I am not sure if they care how old the toefl score is..

:confused:

I am pretty sure that Louisville didn't have supplementary application.