Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have noticed that port placement, both abdominal and thoracic, is taught very differently depending on the attending, and it can be hard to keep track of individual preferences across cases. During residency I built a simple tool to help with this, and I am curious how others handle it.
The idea is straightforward:
I originally made it to keep my own notes organized, but it has also been useful for juniors when preparing for cases.
Curious if anyone is doing something similar or if people are mostly memorizing preferences or drawing things out manually. Happy to share it if there is interest and open to feedback.
The idea is straightforward:
- You choose abdominal or thoracic
- You add ports of varying sizes onto a chest or abdominal diagram
- You label ports such as camera, working, Maryland, etc
- You name the setup by case such as lap chole or VATS wedge
- You can save setups by attending so you can quickly reference how different surgeons like things done
- There is an option to export and save the image to your device outside the app
I originally made it to keep my own notes organized, but it has also been useful for juniors when preparing for cases.
Curious if anyone is doing something similar or if people are mostly memorizing preferences or drawing things out manually. Happy to share it if there is interest and open to feedback.