How are prelims applying to radiology viewed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Humerus Guy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a graduating MS4 that did not match into a surgical sub specialty. I recently completed my first radiology rotation and I feel like it is a much better fit for me. I am going to be completing a surgery prelim year at my home institution and then apply to radiology this upcoming cycle.

Stats: 262 step 1, 269 step 2, AOA, 5 papers, 17 posters/abstracts. My research is around AI use in a surgical subspecialty and I have neuroimaging research from undergrad. Class rank is first quartile. Honored 6/7 rotations M3 year.

I think I didn't match initially because of strong internal competition (lots of classmates applied) and I felt that I just did not share the same enthusiasm as other students on my sub-I. I got along with everyone and received good feedback, but it didn't feel like a fit for me. I'm thankful this happened because I am excited about radiology and I want to make the most of not matching.

Are prelims applying viewed favorably or will I face an uphill battle? What can I do to maximize my chances of matching?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most programs won't care at all. Decent number of people switch from surgery to radiology every year. With your stats you'll be totally fine.
Not to put a damper on OP, I think this was true when radiology was less competitive in their bad job market years. I don’t know that this is necessarily true anymore.

Still worth going for it, but might be important to add the caveat that with DR newly competitive, things probably have changed to some extent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are so great you won’t have any trouble matching, even now. Rads takes a lot of ex-surg subspecialty residents.

You just need one radiologist letter attesting to your enthusiasm in the field. Publish an imaging teaching case and then you'll be all set.

Thank you all for the advice. Will try to get some research going and network with our department. I appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user
Will there be spots open in the match for the next year or will you be matching for another year out and have to do another pre-lim year?

Will there be spots open in the match for the next year or will you be matching for another year out and have to do another pre-lim year?
No one has to do a second prelim year. One can work at a grocery store if they really wanted to.

No one has to do a second prelim year. One can work at a grocery store if they really wanted to.
Can people match directly in to a PGY2 year the upcoming July if they are completing a PGY1 year that year or will they have to wait until the following year to start? Just curious what I would do if I had to wait another year.

Can people match directly in to a PGY2 year the upcoming July if they are completing a PGY1 year that year or will they have to wait until the following year to start? Just curious what I would do if I had to wait another year.
The former. These are called 'R' (Physician) positions in the match. They start as PGY-2 in the year of the match. There were 27 such positions this year.

Ideally I would match into one of the open PGY-2/R1 spots if any are available. I imagine these are pretty competitive with other prelims applying or people switching specialties. Not sure what I would do if I match categorical and have a year off, perhaps try to find a funded research year.

Ideally I would match into one of the open PGY-2/R1 spots if any are available. I imagine these are pretty competitive with other prelims applying or people switching specialties. Not sure what I would do if I match categorical and have a year off, perhaps try to find a funded research year.
If you matched categorical, you have to do the associated intern year.
If you matched advanced, then you would have a year off.