How are things looking (a chances thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nysor_bttw

Cheetah pictures: Accepted.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy! Guess it's getting to be time to do this bit. I'm doing this mostly for advice on what level of programs I should be looking at, as well as any deficiencies I should be covering in my application and during my interviews.

School: Texas A&M College of Medicine

Performance: Top quartile, AOA, Honors in OB/GYN and Psych, Pass in all others (HPF system, missed IMED by a hair not 2/2 grades but because of not palpating the back on a SP encounter), currently in surgery, on track for honors

USMLE: 251 step 1, Putting off step 2 till september

EC:
  • OSR representative of class of 2019
  • Class Officer
  • Long time volunteer (~3 years) and current director of student run indigent care clinic
  • Anatomy Ambassador for applicants
  • Student tutor in M1 and M2
  • President of an interest group that has done jack despite my best efforts
Specialty experience:

Spent a year between undergraduate and medical school doing clinical research, including IRB drafting, patient consenting, database and manuscript work for Urology faculty at UTSW, who as far as I know loved me. Really got to know and enjoy the specialty there, and have had it as my target ever since.

Research:

2 publications (not 1st author) from time at UTSW, 7 or so abstracts submitted but not accepted by AUA from work at UTSW and research at current school, 2 different projects at current school with urology, and 1 with general surgery that may result in a presentation this fall

Letters:

A real nail biter, haven't rotated with Urology at my home institution yet, but have met and worked with several faculty and residents and hope to have at least 1 wrapped up by July. Possible one from Surgery clerkship coordinator, definitely gunning for 1 or 2 from chair and vice-chair at UTSW

I have an away at UTSW before applications are due, and one at Tulane after.

Random info:

I like to think I'm a pretty interesting dude who has quite the green thumb, is an amateur chef, and brews his own beer. Loves the outdoors, has hiked and dived (rescue diver) in some amazing places. Eagle scout.

Plus, moms love me.

What do y'all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Overall you have a reasonably good application with good step 1 score, average grades (honoring surgery would definitely help). Research is ok with 2 pubs, but all those projects that didn't get into AUA aren't helping you much unless you can get something to show for them. You need to take those abstracts that didn't get in (after working with faculty to strengthen them) and resubmit them to meetings with a lower bar, most likely your regional AUA meeting and sub-specialty specific meetings (e.g. world congress of endourology, ICS, SUFU). Your strategy for aways seems fine, just be sure to do your urology sub i and aways as early as possible to get letters and research for your application.