How are you (current/future students) handling cost of DPT/what is your expected debt following DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahRose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello There,

I am curious to hear from any current and future DPT students on how they are handling the cost of DPT tuition or what they expect their debt following completion (if taking loans out) to be. I am someone who already has a great deal of loans from undergrad (about 90,000). I have researched possible salaries, possible tutition costs and living expense costs and it just seems very unmanageable and a bad decision for me financially. I am curious to see if I am the minority when it comes to the possibility of having 200k in debt or more if I chose to continue on the DTP path as I have intended. If there is anyone out their accruing such debt I would love to hear your thoughts or reasonings while continuing on your path. I have calculated the possible monthly payments and it doesn't even seem possible on an 80k salary (which from what I can gather from multiple threads is the high end) so I can't imagine trying to manage it on a 65k salary. This is is something I really want to do but now after weighing the options I'm not sure I can afford this and if it is really worth 200K in debt + 3 years. I know its not all about money but it definitely is a consideration and should be considering how many people are in financial hardships because of student debt. Is it worth it if it may only be a 10-15k increase in starting salary from my current job (although it would be rewarding work and rewarding to have more education and being able to do more for people than my current job). Thoughts/insights from people in similar situation and how they are handling it.

Or any current PTs (not sure you will read in this forum) who may have substantial amount of debt on whether you are able to manage paying off that amount of debt

Members don't see this ad.

You won't get more or better responses here than you will to your thread in the PT forum.

Also I would recommend doing a thorough search of SDN on this topic. PT and debt has been discussed extensively.