Atticus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Hey everyone,
I've been sitting here thinking about how ridiculously expensive the entire application process is. First the DAT, then sending scores, then the primary apps, then the secondary apps, then interviews... It seems like the process never ends! Between my wife and I we make very decent money ( I work for the government and she's a dental hygienest)-- and we're still freaking out a bit. I can't imagine applying as a poor college student. With this in mind, how are you affording it?

About the Ads

GoldTigerPirate

I'm on a boat
Jun 29, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Privateering.

lphiewok

ACFAS Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
Fort Polk, LA
Status
Dentist
graduation gift..

Zubnaya Feya

Combinator
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
Dental Student
Full-time job.. while everyone is saving "paid time off" days for vacation, I am saving them for interviews.. sad.

About the Ads
May 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'm working part time and paying cash for everything. I make commission though, so I work 25 hours but usually get paid for 35+.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2009
Status
Dental Student
part time oral surgery assisting. Barely enough to cover it all including interview money. I have like 15 checks in the mail totaling like close to 1000$ waiting to be cashed =/ ... only 3 schools cashed em so far. Sad trip.

bigasianpianist

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
from my savings and livelyhood of the past 5 years. :'[

PandaXpress

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
Status
Dental Student
nope, the interest is a killa :idea:

Jul 24, 2009
Status
Dental Student
working the street corner. luckily, no one notices when I miss the occasional day because I have an interview. Though sometimes I like to use my sick days. My pimp gets mad, but I do what I want.

I'm just kidding, no but seriously if you're into that kinda thing.
HAHAHA :)

as for me...waiting tables and pulling out of my savings.
AND praying that the schools will not cash the checks at the same time. lol

About the Ads

4thMolar

5+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm lucky my parents are paying for my costs. I guess it's their way of saying "you'd better take care of us when we get old".

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm lucky my parents are paying for my costs. I guess it's their way of saying "you'd better take care of us when we get old".
Haha, my mom reminds me of this almost every day. I'm asian so it's like, blasphemous if you don't take care of your parents and give them money once you start your career.

Jul 24, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Haha, my mom reminds me of this almost every day. I'm asian so it's like, blasphemous if you don't take care of your parents and give them money once you start your career.
Glad to know I'm not the only one! :)

timwatley

7+ Year Member
May 5, 2009
OR
www.ohsu.edu
Status
Pre-Dental, Dentist
extortion, rackateering, money laundering, murder for hire. yeah....It's a doozy

DJwreckx

5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t67jwjux0Ao[/YOUTUBE]

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
Taking a dive in the deep in end of the pool of debt! It's all worth it and not that bad if I/we gain acceptance and its one big chunk of debt thats gunna suck repaying if not! So far im in almost 3 big ones including app, sec apps, DAT materials, and i havent even thought about interview money yet. :scared:

About the Ads

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
Work and credit card debt! Got through applications and secondaries debt free but interviews will almost definitely be credit card debt!

LoLPoPs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status
Dental Student
My awesome dad pays for everything:love:
He's the best dad in the whole world!!! :laugh:
Now once I become a dentist, I'm gonna save money for his vacation trip around the world~;)

TheGreenWave

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2008
Houston
Status
Dentist
Sold my left kidney on the black market.

webdog54

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I applied last summer, my parents have always helped me out. Best parents ever, I can't wait to repay them back somehow.

ucla2134

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
My Mom and Dad! I cannot wait to become a dentist and buy them something nice. I love you my parents, thats why i work so hard:oops:

longhornpride

10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2007
Status
Dentist
already about 25k in debt because of undergrad. what's another 3 or 4 thousand going to do right? :rolleyes:

About the Ads