How are your classes taught?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollie123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what others experiences with grad school classes have been. By "how are they taught" I mean are they abstract/theoretical or are they more practical, how are you tested, things like that.

For example, I was surprised by how theoretical almost every class I'm taking this semester is. I was expecting psychopathology to be learning some details about criterion, differentiating one disorder from another, etc. Instead its purely article based, examining classification problems, how this is inherent due to constructs of certain disorders, etc. No tests, only papers.

I prefer it this way actually, since I can read the DSM on my own time and never understood why so many classes seem bent on just repeating what you should be able to get from reading the textbook, but I was kind of surprised since I was expecting the first year courses to be a bit more structured and factual and that we wouldn't delve this deeply into theory until upper-level seminars. They are pretty much all heavy on theory (even for assessment it seems we will spend alot more time learning about development of tests and the theory behind them than the actual implementation, with the assumption being that if you know the theory and the background, actually implementing the test should almost seem intuitive).

Just wondering if this was the norm or if other schools have a different approach. I went to an undergrad that taught everything in a very "practical" manner so this was a pleasant surprise!

Members don't see this ad.

Your experience sounds pretty much exactly like my psychopathology class this semester.

My psychopathology was a mix of theory and case. Most of the criteria and whatnot was learned on our time, but it was applied in class, and a ton of time was spent on differentials and nuances of each. There were enough cases to make it interesting, but I think differentials were one of the most important things I got from the class, it helped me later on and also during practicum.

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
My assessment class was far more practical than theoretical. We were administering assessments to volunteers in the fall and patients in the spring and our prof was really big on making sure we rarely invalidated tests.

I also am experiencing a mix of theoretical and practical classes in my first year and I'm actually in a PsyD program (it's not all practical after all). And yeah, the assesment class is not theoretical at all - they are just teaching you a skill.