How are your interviews going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych for path

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm all done with interviews, just waiting anxiously for the 22nd now. I was surprised by the different tone of my interviews, it was really easy to tell which programs thought they were lucky to have us there versus those that thought we were lucky to be there.

I am awaiting my first interview next week, and I am super anxious of course.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to answer when someone says "Tell me about yourself" ?

Should you focus more on yourself as a person (i.e. where you grew up, hobbies, etc) or should you focus more on your professional/academic goals? Or should you somehow merge these two together in your answer?

Any advice is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey pamplemousse (love the name)...I would definitely start with a bit of vague background about where you are from and your educational background, and then launch into your professional and academic goals.

I recall someone on this thread once saying they asked the interviewers which version of themselves they wanted to know about, which may also be a good approach.

I've had one interview to date and a 2nd in a couple days. My first was way less stressful than I expected. I really enjoyed myself! In my opinion, it is so hard to tell exactly "how it went" in terms of likelihood of an offer...just because everyone is so qualified and (for the most part) cool and personable. I will be devastated if my interviews lead to 0 offers, but it is nice to know that at least the competition is fierce and I can see how faculty members have very difficult decisions to make...

Hey I got an interview at St. Johns school psych this friday--- any tips?

I've had one interview to date and a 2nd in a couple days. My first was way less stressful than I expected. I really enjoyed myself! In my opinion, it is so hard to tell exactly "how it went" in terms of likelihood of an offer...just because everyone is so qualified and (for the most part) cool and personable. I will be devastated if my interviews lead to 0 offers, but it is nice to know that at least the competition is fierce and I can see how faculty members have very difficult decisions to make...