This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamingabouta528

Medical Student
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Of course you do. GPAs are just one metric. Ws are not a huge issue. Better to withdraw than fail or get a D so don’t worry about a couple of Ws. If it helps you, all grades from all classes you have ever taken in any college course are counted in your cGPA and sGPA. So although you’re “stuck” with those low grades it’s because that’s how AMCAS does things and not where you went to college.
Have you taken your MCAT? How are your ECs coming along? It sounds like you are working hard and have an upward trend of sorts. Keep at it and see where you are when you are getting ready to apply. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't taken my MCAT yet so I can't gage what my list will look like yet but other than shadowing, I'm not too concerned about my ECs. (I was lucky enough to do my volunteering, clubs, etc. before covid hit). Other than my grades my only concern is that my lack of shadowing will strongly impact my app, especially since I don't have too much time to boost that given covid and that I am applying in the 2021 cycle.
Make sure your ECs include a good amount of clinical volunteering if possible. Shadowing should open up this summer, especially since most healthcare workers are vaccinated. I’d suggest contacting and putting in place primary care shadowing to try to get to 50hrs. Shouldn’t need more than that.

I haven't taken my MCAT yet so I can't gage what my list will look like yet but other than shadowing, I'm not too concerned about my ECs. (I was lucky enough to do my volunteering, clubs, etc. before covid hit). Other than my grades my only concern is that my lack of shadowing will strongly impact my app, especially since I don't have too much time to boost that given covid and that I am applying in the 2021 cycle.
You need shadowing, particularly with a primary care doc. Don’t apply without it. If you really have clinical experiences(paid or volunteer) and nonclinical volunteering serving the unserved /underserved in your community you have the basis of your application. Hopefully you are researching DO schools and Low tier MD schools. Use the MSAR to develop your MD list, paying particular attention to IS v OOS applicants/acceptances. But much will depend on the MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started college a couple years early and it took me some time to adjust so I have several bad grades. I have a C- in Bio 1 , C in a non-science class, C+ in a math class and then the worst of it all, 2 Ws for gen chem 1 and a D in the class when I finally completed it at my first school (professor was a last minute hire and absolutely horrible). I transferred the semester after to a school that was a better match for me, got As in almost every class, retook gen chem 1 and bio 1, getting an A in the first try, graduated with a very high GPA which ended up balancing out my gpa from my first school.

Overall, I've calculated my sGPA to be 3.51 and my cGPA to be 3.62 but I'm still very concerned about these grades. Since I retook the bad classes at a different school, I can't average the grades out and am stuck with all of them. Do I still have a chance of getting into medical School? Do I have to somehow figure out how to address this in my personal statement?
You'll be fine. Your story is very common.

I have over 500 hours of clinical volunteer work (direct patient contact for 8 hour shifts) and about a hundred or so in non clinical volunteer work (soup kitchens, food pantries, etc.) and I'll be looking for jobs before I apply in this field (scribing or something of the sort).

Is there a particular reason why I should be applying to low level MD schools and DO schools? Is it my gpa? I heard that schools will be giving some leniency this cycle with shadowing and the like so my limited exposure at the point of application won't be too bad.

Who told you that? I mean it might be true, but you should understand that thousands of applicants will have everything they need for exceptional applications. So although nobody really knows what schools will or will not do , there probably isn’t a reason for any schools to relax their requirements. It’s not like they will have a hard time filling their class.
I’m sorry you don’t like my responses but I was really trying to help you. Good luck as you move forward.

I don't think your GPA is fatal but I would be looking into DO schools with a mix of select MD (IS) schools unless you get a stellar MCAT (maybe >517). It is just one weakness is an application with many chains in the mail, make sure the others are solid.

I have 500+ hours in clinical volunteering with several experiences worth talking about so I'm pretty confident on the volunteering front. I'll be looking for a job in scribing or something of the sort as soon as I'm done with my MCAT but won't the shadowing be a bit late if I wait until the summer? I hope to be able to submit my app at the beginning of june
Yes, the sooner the better for shadowing. Most physician offices are open now, some might even allow you to do shadowing live or ask about doing it via conference call into their live patient visit. I have a physician whose scribe listens in to the patient encounter via the physicians cellular speaker phone while the physician and patient are in the examining room. Think creatively and don’t be afraid to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.