Low engineering gpa. need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loserfish

Reaction score
ORM female engineering sophomore in undergrad at a normal state school sitting at a 3.35 and unsure if I should give up on being premed? I only have 4 more semesters to drastically increase my gpa which seems unrealistic and unlikely to happen.

I really want to be a doctor but should i give up and just settle for an engineering job? Feel very lost and defeated at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If your goal is to be a physician, you can likely have moderate success for lower-tier MD programs and DO programs with that (or a slightly higher) GPA assuming you have other strong parts of your package (clinical experience, volunteer experience) and a good MCAT score to balance it out.

Anecdotes aren't data, but I've consistently seen success from students I work with in the 3.0-3.4 range *if* the other parts of their application are great. The GPA alone will not kill your app, at least in my opinion.

ORM female engineering sophomore in undergrad at a normal state school sitting at a 3.35 and unsure if I should give up on being premed? I only have 4 more semesters to drastically increase my gpa which seems unrealistic and unlikely to happen.

I really want to be a doctor but should i give up and just settle for an engineering job? Feel very lost and defeated at this point.
A strong MCAT, good experiences and better grades in the upcoming 4 semesters and you should be competitive at some MD programs and most DO programs. If the GPA doesn't go up as much as you would like, consider a postbac program.

Bottom line: It's too soon to give up.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get 517+, chances at low tier MD are relatively decent.

507+, chances for DO are good

You’ll need to apply broadly (35+ imo) but cross the bridge when you get to it

For now, try getting your best possible grades as upward trends do help

I only have 4 more semesters to drastically increase my gpa which seems unrealistic and unlikely to happen.

The above and your username are defeatist sentiments and won’t get you closer to your goals.

Reactions: 1 users
The question you have to ask yourself is, do you really want to be a physician and two, are you prepared to work really hard to achieve that goal. I'm not sure how to interpret your post when you say "I only have 4 more semesters to drastically increase my gpa which seems unrealistic and unlikely to happen"...are you saying that you do not believe you are up to the task of doing it or are you saying regardless, my gpa will never drastically increase because I don't have enough semesters to make that happen?

BTW, 3.35 gpa is not a death sentence, sure, will it be more difficult if you don't raise it, yes, but if you present a stellar app, there's hope. You control some of that though. If you truly want to become a physician, then go for it, bust your hump on the remaining 4 semesters, secure great letters, get research if possible, etc.

Best of luck.

The total GPA at the end of sophomore year is usually the lowest it will be and it rises in the following years.
What is your BCPM GPA?
All other (AO) excluding engineering courses?
Did organic chem sink you?

Do you have to be an engineering major? Could you change majors and avoid pre-med dream-crushing courses required of engineering majors? Do you like engineering and could you see yourself being happy in that career?

Have you done any shadowing since HS graduation? Have you done any clinical volunteering or clinical employment after age 17?

Your GPA is one issue but I'd like to place it in the context of how much you know and have invested in the dream of being a physician and if the weaknesses in the GPA are from specific pre-reqs, from engineering courses, or from courses that are neither engineering nor pre-reqs.

I have a BSME and currently an M2. your 3.35 gpa is darn good for engineering. Can you switch to engineering technology (AKA engineering lite)? That is one way to boost your engineering gpa for the next two years. For engineering, most of the damage results from Calcs, differntial equations, Laplace transform forrier series, physics, chem, vector static, vector dynamics,etc..., which are all taken by end of sophomore year. It would help significantly if you get straight As from here on out and the only easier way to do so is to go the engineering lite route.