how bad do science/non science "W's" look on transcript?

Started by hafido
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hafido

Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a "W" I received in an accounting course back in 1999, I was not doing well in it, so I withdrew and took it again later, getting a "B". I also have a "W" in an econometrics course that really was not my fault, they did not properly drop me from the class on time (I never even went to the first class meeting). I took it the next quarter and received an "A-". My one science "w" was a year ago when I came back to school I started taking an intro chem course, but I had too much work going on with my business and I missed a crucial mid-term, so, I dropped the course (I actually did not come back to school until this winter quarter, taking the intro chem and doing well in it). I guess my question is this: how bad would you say these "w"s look on the transcript? I have no science courses under my belt yet, but I am determined to do well in all of them.
 
Well, in 2 out of 3 cases, you did take the courses over and got good grades, and if I were on an adcom, that would be a big plus to me. If you take that chem course over again and ace it, then I think it'll work out fine.

Practically speaking:

Should you be actively worrying about these Ws now? IMHO: No.

Should you let them stop you from applying to dental school, when the time comes? IMHO: No!

Should you make every effort to show your dedication by getting excellent grades now and in the future? IMHO: Definitely.

Best of luck! 👍
 
Originally posted by trypmo
Well, in 2 out of 3 cases, you did take the courses over and got good grades, and if I were on an adcom, that would be a big plus to me. If you take that chem course over again and ace it, then I think it'll work out fine.

Practically speaking:

Should you be actively worrying about these Ws now? IMHO: No.

Should you let them stop you from applying to dental school, when the time comes? IMHO: No!

Should you make every effort to show your dedication by getting excellent grades now and in the future? IMHO: Definitely.

Best of luck! 👍
Agreed on all counts.
 
W's are not bad. Everyone has their reasons for them. But, there should be a limit on them. One per quarter is too much. Also, receiving w for difficult science course regularly could possibly cast doubt on your abilities. I do not think that you have, at this point, a problem, but be careful and frugal with your uses of withdraws.