how bad do science/non science "W's" look on transcript?

hafido

15+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2002
  1. Dentist
I have a "W" I received in an accounting course back in 1999, I was not doing well in it, so I withdrew and took it again later, getting a "B". I also have a "W" in an econometrics course that really was not my fault, they did not properly drop me from the class on time (I never even went to the first class meeting). I took it the next quarter and received an "A-". My one science "w" was a year ago when I came back to school I started taking an intro chem course, but I had too much work going on with my business and I missed a crucial mid-term, so, I dropped the course (I actually did not come back to school until this winter quarter, taking the intro chem and doing well in it). I guess my question is this: how bad would you say these "w"s look on the transcript? I have no science courses under my belt yet, but I am determined to do well in all of them.

trypmo

Arch Fiend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2004
Texas
Well, in 2 out of 3 cases, you did take the courses over and got good grades, and if I were on an adcom, that would be a big plus to me. If you take that chem course over again and ace it, then I think it'll work out fine.

Practically speaking:

Should you be actively worrying about these Ws now? IMHO: No.

Should you let them stop you from applying to dental school, when the time comes? IMHO: No!

Should you make every effort to show your dedication by getting excellent grades now and in the future? IMHO: Definitely.

Best of luck! :thumbup:

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Dentist
Originally posted by trypmo
Well, in 2 out of 3 cases, you did take the courses over and got good grades, and if I were on an adcom, that would be a big plus to me. If you take that chem course over again and ace it, then I think it'll work out fine.

Practically speaking:

Should you be actively worrying about these Ws now? IMHO: No.

Should you let them stop you from applying to dental school, when the time comes? IMHO: No!

Should you make every effort to show your dedication by getting excellent grades now and in the future? IMHO: Definitely.

Best of luck! :thumbup:
Agreed on all counts.

Thaxil

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2003
myrtle Beach, SC
  1. Dentist
W's are not bad. Everyone has their reasons for them. But, there should be a limit on them. One per quarter is too much. Also, receiving w for difficult science course regularly could possibly cast doubt on your abilities. I do not think that you have, at this point, a problem, but be careful and frugal with your uses of withdraws.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.