How bad Does a C- look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pupsingh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if u got just one in physics? it was sooo hard im so upset about it but i tried hard

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry, just try not to get anymore C. I had about 3-4 C and I still got in. However, I was working ~30hrs/wk. So don't get a C just b/c of laziness but have a good reason. Move on and study hard, it will paid off, it won't be a smooth road but rather a rough one. I hope this will help you feel better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, certainly it won't look good....but it it not going to kick you out of the cycle either, there are a lot of people who get in every year with a couple of C's or D's. If you have done well on other classes and on your DAT you'll be fine...and remember there is always one person with a 4.0 GPA and 25 on DAT, who post his numbers online and tries to scare other ppl off, but he is not the only one applying (he is only being a jerk)....so, don't be intimidated by those ppl and focus on your own work.

I had a couple Ds in my undergrad classes which I rectified by retaking the classes with different instructors (then I got A and B). They are all on my transcript and factored into my GPA.

I got in anyway.

RP

if u got just one in physics? it was sooo hard im so upset about it but i tried hard

I know what you mean.
I got 1 C-, 1 C, and 2 C+. And 4 B and 1 B+. And 2 A- and 9 As.
These are all in BCP Courses.

BCP = 3.22; Science = 3.31; Cumulative = 3.48
DAT: Bio = 22, OChem = 19, GChem = 21, QR = 19, RC = 21, TS = 21, AA = 20, PAT = 17 (I know, it's low).

Am I still okay???

I applied early last year (June 4th) to 15 schools and did not even get an interview. This year, I increased by BCP by .4 pts and my Science by .3 pts. I also added 5 new extracurricular activities.

What do you think my chances are this year? Better than last year, I hope.

Note: There was an upward trend. In my last 2 years of college, I received ~1B/semester and the rest were As in all classes. 3 of my Cs including the C- were in my first 2 years. The reason... PHYSICS!

I know what you mean.
I got 1 C-, 1 C, and 2 C+. And 4 B and 1 B+. And 2 A- and 9 As.
These are all in BCP Courses.

BCP = 3.22; Science = 3.31; Cumulative = 3.48
DAT: Bio = 22, OChem = 19, GChem = 21, QR = 19, RC = 21, TS = 21, AA = 20, PAT = 17 (I know, it's low).

Am I still okay???

I applied early last year (June 4th) to 15 schools and did not even get an interview. This year, I increased by BCP by .4 pts and my Science by .3 pts. I also added 5 new extracurricular activities.

What do you think my chances are this year? Better than last year, I hope.

Note: There was an upward trend. In my last 2 years of college, I received ~1B/semester and the rest were As in all classes. 3 of my Cs including the C- were in my first 2 years. The reason... PHYSICS!

hi QuackDentist

did you receive/were u expecting to receive a bachelor's degree by the summer this year? (were u applying without a bachelor's degree?)

hi QuackDentist

did you receive/were u expecting to receive a bachelor's degree by the summer this year? (were u applying without a bachelor's degree?)

I just got my bachelors from Berkeley. :) Hopefully, this year is better.

i had a couple of those and some D's. CRANK it out the last year or two and really show you can handle dschool curriculum.

It's my understanding that most dental schools require a C or better in all pre-requisite classes and since physics is a pre-requisite for most, if not all dental schools, i think you'll have to take it over. This happened to me for o-chem II. Good luck and keep working hard.

is it true that i cant apply to dental school because i got a C- in one physics class? i cant retake it because u have to get a D or lower to retake it. ???

Members don't see this ad :)
you may have to re-take it because on pre-reqs you can't get anything lower than a C.

i think pupsingh means that the undergrad institution wont let you retake it unless you get a D or lower, in which case either a) call up the dental schools and ask, b) see if you can work something out with your undergrad school, or c) maybe take that prereq at a community college or something and send that grade in along with your C-

gluck

has anyone applied/gotten in with a C-in a prereq?

i think pupsingh means that the undergrad institution wont let you retake it unless you get a D or lower, in which case either a) call up the dental schools and ask, b) see if you can work something out with your undergrad school, or c) maybe take that prereq at a community college or something and send that grade in along with your C-

gluck

Yeah I know, but I mean he really has no choice, I was just trying to say that he needs to find a way to re-take it. Thanks for clearing that up though, for some reason I always think people understand what i'm saying, lol :laugh:

Ok so i do have couple of Cs in my prereq classes, but this was when i just started college and I was pretty new to the system and how different it was from high school!!!

I managed to get Bs also, but I have As in most of my other science classes, (BIology major)

i don't know my GPA calculated by the ADA website yet! but my overall GPA is 3.89.

Please let me know if you think i have to retake all the sciences (general chem and Bio I and physic I and II) that i have gotten Cs in. I know that this doesn't look good on my application, but i have improved since, and I can't really take them over again! due to the fact that i am graduating in Spring of 2011 and I already have plan on taking full load of science classes then....:confused:

Thanks

Ok so i do have couple of Cs in my prereq classes, but this was when i just started college and I was pretty new to the system and how different it was from high school!!!

I managed to get Bs also, but I have As in most of my other science classes, (BIology major)

i don't know my GPA calculated by the ADA website yet! but my overall GPA is 3.89.

Please let me know if you think i have to retake all the sciences (general chem and Bio I and physic I and II) that i have gotten Cs in. I know that this doesn't look good on my application, but i have improved since, and I can't really take them over again! due to the fact that i am graduating in Spring of 2011 and I already have plan on taking full load of science classes then....:confused:

Thanks

I think it really depends on the school. I've heard some schools don't mind retakes and actually require them if you earned C- or below. Others would rather you work towards a Master's or Post-Bac. I have no choice but to retake my couple of C-'s. I've already retaken Orgo II and rocked an A! Whew! Anyways, contact your prospective schools and see what they require. Good luck!

If the C in physics was the only one you got, then I'd think with a competitive DAT and other stats you'll be fine.

But if you're really that worried about it, take it again.

almost all schools want C or above in pre req. courses.

I hate to burst people's bubbles, but dental schools are becoming more and more competitive each year. Unless you are an URM or have some damn good reason for not doing well during a certain period, I just don't think that C's are going to cut it.

a c- is not a c, and i think all dental schools require a c or better in their pre-reqs so yes you have to retake it. if your school doesnt allow you to, you'll have to take it online or at a JC

I've wondered about this too. I have not received a C in a prereq but started college off poor. I didnt give much effort and focused much more on working. After returning to school to be a dentist i've done very well but it irks me that some smug predents in my class have higher cum gpa's than I do even though I'm killing them in the prereqs/upper division bio courses.
IMO the gpa evaluation system should focus on relevent course work - defined by content and date completed.

I've wondered about this too. I have not received a C in a prereq but started college off poor. I didnt give much effort and focused much more on working. After returning to school to be a dentist i've done very well but it irks me that some smug predents in my class have higher cum gpa's than I do even though I'm killing them in the prereqs/upper division bio courses.
IMO the gpa evaluation system should focus on relevent course work - defined by content and date completed.

you should stop worrying about what other people are doing and what they have, and just focus on doing the best you can do....just go do you, and don't be a hater.

good advice.

you should stop worrying about what other people are doing and what they have, and just focus on doing the best you can do....just go do you, and don't be a hater.

It can depend very much on the length of time since you started college. I was in college for a year and half and got just a 3.0 in that period. Six years later after extensive experience in the business world I came back and have gotten a 4.0 ever since. Its helped raise my cum to 3.6 but i cannot imagine a dental committe holding a few b's against you that happened a long long time ago. If you show a clear and persistent pattern of outperforming your peers then you are clearly the superior candidate.

I had D's in two labs and I retook the courses. Some C's in freshman year for science classes as well. Don't worry, they won't kill your application. Don't listen to the haters. You'll do fine.

I had D's in two labs and I retook the courses. Some C's in freshman year for science classes as well. Don't worry, they won't kill your application. Don't listen to the haters. You'll do fine.
Are you referring to a pre req course?

A C- is an unacceptable grade at some institutions for satisfying pre-req courses.