how bad does a W look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yumi43

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, i am in my lag year right now and about to go on 3 interviews. my grades were fine for the last 2 years, but i am taking biochem right now and am seriously considering dropping it and taking it over the summer. i will get a big fat W on my transcript because of this, but i am having trouble handling physics, biochem, interview travelling, extracurricular activities, etc. at the same time, and my grades are suffering. will this give dental schools a bad impression of me even though i will take it over the summer? i don't want to get horrible grades when i've come this far and then get rejected from dental schools.

Members don't see this ad.

One W isn't bad as long as it's not a W Fail of course. Four to five or more W's is bad.

Are u still taking it in NYU? Kallanbach gives 60% A's.. stick to it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
really? i took the midterm today and i sucked. i knew how to answer maybe 2 out of 9 questions. that's like a 30%. :mad::(

really? i took the midterm today and i sucked. i knew how to answer maybe 2 out of 9 questions. that's like a 30%. :mad::(

Ouch, how did you do on the first test? It may not be as bad as it seems if the rest of the class did equally bad and your professor curves.

I have like 3 or 4 W's and none of my interviewers have even commented on them. Granted, I did drop them on the first day of class so I could explain them if asked. I'd be much more worried about a big fat C, D or F than a W.

I took the midterm today too haha. We're in the same class. I'm sure u did fine. I heard the average on the exams are usually in the 60-70%. But Anne also said 60% of the class gets A-A-.. C is the worst he would give. He never fails anyone? Which recitation are u in?

hey everyone, i am in my lag year right now and about to go on 3 interviews. my grades were fine for the last 2 years, but i am taking biochem right now and am seriously considering dropping it and taking it over the summer. i will get a big fat W on my transcript because of this, but i am having trouble handling physics, biochem, interview travelling, extracurricular activities, etc. at the same time, and my grades are suffering. will this give dental schools a bad impression of me even though i will take it over the summer? i don't want to get horrible grades when i've come this far and then get rejected from dental schools.

you should be fine as long as you don't have too many Ws on your transcript.

this was our first test. i have just gone fully ******ed i think.

I took the midterm today too haha. We're in the same class. I'm sure u did fine. I heard the average on the exams are usually in the 60-70%. But Anne also said 60% of the class gets A-A-.. C is the worst he would give. He never fails anyone? Which recitation are u in?

whoa!! hahah, i am in nikhil's rct. i studied my ass off for the test and then when i was taking the midterm, i just stared at it and wanted to scream.

If you are applying this year(which i assume you are cuz of interviews) you have to remember that you cannot take prereq's the summer of matriculation....

If it helps any I am taking biochem, physics 2, microbio, and molecular/cell bio, and research + interviews coming up, and i am no genious so if i can do you can too!! you just need motivation!

Goodluck:thumbup:

EDIT: ALSO dont forget if you get an acceptance Dec 1st, you just need to have passing grades!!!!

Are u still taking it in NYU? Kallanbach gives 60% A's.. stick to it!!

Holysh*t, we have like 60% fails cuz my teacher is a hardass! I wish i was at NYU

I wish I had a biochem class like this. For my class it was 30% fail, 50%C, 15%B, 2As.
It was even worse for my o chem class. For o chem there was 90% drop, 3Cs, 2Bs.

Or maybe I just had bad luck in choosing brutally hard professors.

My biochem professor felt like he was doing the world a huge favor by weeding the stupid kids out of medicine and dentistry.

Sorry but that is just unfair in so many ways?? But i wish i was in ur position lol

whoa!! hahah, i am in nikhil's rct. i studied my ass off for the test and then when i was taking the midterm, i just stared at it and wanted to scream.

Hahaha, i heard he's really good and gave a lot of hints during the exam.. (like don't use the Blosum62 graph to answer anything!).. I have Anne btw. we totally got sidetracked onto talking about our brutal exam o_O. Anywayz, might as well wait it out and see how you do on this one? W now will still be a W in a week. And does grades matter THAT much the year before dental school? U're getting your interview invites already. We don't need to kill for A's (well i'm not lol). I feel your pain in balancing school ,EC, and traveling to interviews tho. At least we can make up the quizzes we miss in biochem! Really stick it out.. u're 1 month into the class. I would HATE to take it with Goldberg (he's a douche) and pay 4000 dollar for those 4 credits again.

well, since biochem isnt a prereq for a lot of dental schools, i was wondering if i would even need to take it again if i do end up dropping it now... i guess i will wait and see what happens with this exam.