How bad is a C in a masters?

Started by dstu2011
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dstu2011

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How bad is it to have a C in your masters program even if your GPA will end up being 3.6-3.8?
 
How bad is it to have a C in your masters program even if your GPA will end up being 3.6-3.8?

This is completely my own opinion but I doubt it will be a big deal..I suppose it depends on your goals and in what class it was in. When I interviewed for med school I got a couple "so, you kinda suck at physics" comments but they weren't too worried about it because my overalls were about the same as yours...2 C+'s in physics (damn Isaac Newton)...I would say, worst case scenario they will comment on it and you will either have a good explanation or say that class just gotcha...


by 2 C+'s I meant both semesters..no retakes and it was calc based physics...although I doubt I'd understand physics even without the calculus 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is completely my own opinion but I doubt it will be a big deal..I suppose it depends on your goals and in what class it was in. When I interviewed for med school I got a couple "so, you kinda suck at physics" comments but they weren't too worried about it because my overalls were about the same as yours...2 C+'s in physics (damn Isaac Newton)...I would say, worst case scenario they will comment on it and you will either have a good explanation or say that class just gotcha...


by 2 C+'s I meant both semesters..no retakes and it was calc based physics...although I doubt I'd understand physics even without the calculus 🙂

Well that was your undergrad, this is in a masters program where I think we're expected to get straight As...
 
Well that was your undergrad, this is in a masters program where I think we're expected to get straight As...

I don't know if you're expected to get straight A's but I know you're expected to do well...If you end up around a 3.8 I doubt it will make much of a difference...besides, if you already have the grade, whats the use in worrying about what you can't change...just finish up strong and move on
 
I don't know if you're expected to get straight A's but I know you're expected to do well...If you end up around a 3.8 I doubt it will make much of a difference...besides, if you already have the grade, whats the use in worrying about what you can't change...just finish up strong and move on

That is the best advice I have ever heard... I will have to keep that in mind. 20 AA, 2.99 uGPA w/ C,D,F all over the place, great LORs..., some research and some voluntering. Just terrified if a single C will cost me another 3 years (apply and not get in, another masters, then apply again)
 
Last edited:
Here's the thing about a C in a graduate course - it means you failed the course by graduate school standards. Anything below a B- is grounds for academic probation, which is why it's not a good thing to get a C in the course overall.
 
Here's the thing about a C in a graduate course - it means you failed the course by graduate school standards. Anything below a B- is grounds for academic probation, which is why it's not a good thing to get a C in the course overall.

Yea... thats what I was thinking 🙁

But the class average was a 81% meaning probably more than 1/3rd of the class got a C+ and below. Very frustrating 🙁
 
3 bumps is a bit much.

You've gotten your answer.

Its not good but if you do alright otherwise its not the end of the world