How bad is a "W" on a transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uesider

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post although I read these boards daily! I am a post-bacc student in the middle of pre-reqs. I am in Chem II in the summer, and I've failed 3 tests so I'm withdrawing. Luckily this school only gives out "W's" for withdrawing (instead of Withdraw-Failing). I'm wondering how this will look on a transcript? I have had some family issues which is why I had to drop in the first place, but I don't want to be making up excuses. I have an A in Chem I so I'm hoping they won't think too much of it. Also, do I even have to report I took the class at all if I don't take any other classes at this school??

Another question -- how many pre-reqs can be outstanding at time of app? I want to apply next June 1 for Fall 2008 entry. When I apply June 1, I'll still have Physics II and O-Chem II left to take. How is my science GPA calculated... without these 2 (killer) courses?

Sorry so many questions. Anyone else had to withdraw from a class?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

uesider said:
Hi all,

This is my first post although I read these boards daily! I am a post-bacc student in the middle of pre-reqs. I am in Chem II in the summer, and I've failed 3 tests so I'm withdrawing. Luckily this school only gives out "W's" for withdrawing (instead of Withdraw-Failing). I'm wondering how this will look on a transcript? I have had some family issues which is why I had to drop in the first place, but I don't want to be making up excuses. I have an A in Chem I so I'm hoping they won't think too much of it. Also, do I even have to report I took the class at all if I don't take any other classes at this school??

Another question -- how many pre-reqs can be outstanding at time of app? I want to apply next June 1 for Fall 2008 entry. When I apply June 1, I'll still have Physics II and O-Chem II left to take. How is my science GPA calculated... without these 2 (killer) courses?

Sorry so many questions. Anyone else had to withdraw from a class?

Thanks!

Just do well in the class when you retake it. My interviewers didn't ask anything about it. I had 3 W's by the way..

I had two! Maybe this means you should apply to Temple if you have W's...

Members don't see this ad :)
I only had one W on my transcripts and was asked about it in my Nova interview. Be prepared to explain yourself if asked. But you made the right call in taking the W over the F. Like Hockeydentist said just do well in the class when you re-take it. As for the outstanding classes I think you should be fine. Just send the schools your updated grades and GPA as soon as you finish the classes.

Dutchboy said:
I only had one W on my transcripts and was asked about it in my Nova interview. Be prepared to explain yourself if asked. But you made the right call in taking the W over the F. Like Hockeydentist said just do well in the class when you re-take it. As for the outstanding classes I think you should be fine. Just send the schools your updated grades and GPA as soon as you finish the classes.

hey dutchboy you from holland by chance?

What type of reason can you say that sounds somewhat mature besides, "This class kicked my a**???" :eek:

hpets said:
What type of reason can you say that sounds somewhat mature besides, "This class kicked my a**???" :eek:

well for one of my w's I dropped the class because it was really conflicting with practice (I'm an athlete). and my other one, I took on biochem at the same time as orgo, orgo lab, physics, physics lab, so it was just too much for me, and I had to drop biochem last year but I retook it this year.

that's 2/2

I have 2 W's on my transcript. If asked about them in an interview I'll just be honest. One semester I was taking 28 hours and thought it was too much so I dropped my toughest 3 hour course. Another semester when I was in my M.S. program, I was offered a full time job on the condition that I drop one of my courses because it would be too hard to work around 9+ hours of class during the time that I was supposed to be at work.

aggie-master said:
I have 2 W's on my transcript. If asked about them in an interview I'll just be honest. One semester I was taking 28 hours and thought it was too much so I dropped my toughest 3 hour course. Another semester when I was in my M.S. program, I was offered a full time job on the condition that I drop one of my courses because it would be too hard to work around 9+ hours of class during the time that I was supposed to be at work.

28 hours? semester hours? wow. i did 24 once and almost died.

are you even allowed to do more than 20?

I know anything over 19 units or 20 units, you needed permission from an advisor or something like that. 24...damn, prepping yourself for d-school early huh?

xxJuiceDxx said:
I know anything over 19 units or 20 units, you needed permission from an advisor or something like that. 24...damn, prepping yourself for d-school early huh?

:laugh: i had two majors and a minor and wanted to graduate in 4 years-and also didnt want to spend four summers taking classes.

edit: yes,you have to get dean/advisors permission to take over 18 credits.

aggie-master said:

your totally screwed, lol

1992Corolla said:
hey dutchboy you from holland by chance?
I'm like 60% Dutch. My Great grandfather was the first to move from Holland to Utah. So I guess my name should be changed to Dutchancestryboy for clarity. :D