How bad is it to apply late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golddanboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pre-med but my luck with medical schools has been rather terrible so far, the only school to show any intrest is 5 hours away from my house/girlfriend. It was my origional intention to become an Ophthalmologist but it seems like a few too many years away from the house if i can't get into a local school.

Long story short i took the OAT this weekened, my score was a 370 and GPA is 3.76. So gradewise i'm not really worried, what does worry me is that i'm only going to apply to 1 school (SUNY), my app won't be done until the end of december, and all my letters of rec say medical school :p. So is it common for people to apply this late and get in?

Members don't see this ad.

i applied very late, 2 days before the deadline at SUNY last year and was still accepted so there is still a chance for you to make it in. however, my entire post-secondary academic career had been geared for optometry so i think i had all the right assets and extracuriculars that they looked for. also, some schools may not like the fact that because you feel that you can't make it into medical school you are just defaulting into optometry and that you don't have a true passion for the field.

they will most likely ask you, why optometry instead of ophthalmology? and other griller quesitons, SUNY has a difficult interview process. i think your grades are more than sufficient to get you into optometry school though and if you really feel that this switch is the path you want to take then i think the schools will see it as well in your app and during the interview, so just do what feels best for you. but i woudln't just go into optometry because you can, if you realyl want to get into medical school.