MD How bad is it to fail a shelf exam third year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can the friend even get a surgery Sub-I? At some schools the surgery Sub-I's are very competitive and a student can't even sign up for one if they show problems like failing the shelf. I suppose there are always away sub-I's though.
Really? A medicine, peds, gen surg, or ob/gyn Sub-I is required at my school so unless they really thought someone had NO shot at matching into gen surg anywhere I can't imagine them forbidding a student from doing a surgery sub-I.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can the friend even get a surgery Sub-I? At some schools the surgery Sub-I's are very competitive and a student can't even sign up for one if they show problems like failing the shelf. I suppose there are always away sub-I's though.

Yes they can do surgery sub I at our school. They are currently signed up for some now. They were concerned because the surgery clerkship director was like surgery is out without knowing anything else about them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope this isn't a necro bump. Does anyone else with a shelf failure want to chime in? I'm interested in psych anywhere in the NE coast. I'll to low tier it really doesn't matter. 221 step and shelf failures in both IM and Surgery which really sucks. Otherwise clinic Evals have been HP or honors for other rotations.

I'm guessing the surgery shelf could not matter less for psych?