How bad is it to not honor your home rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacksparrowMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
does it kill your app? My rotation was mostly shadowing so don’t know what else I could have done.

Members don't see this ad.

does it kill your app? My rotation was mostly shadowing so don’t know what else I could have done.

It doesn't kill your app but I've always found it to be a bit of a black eye on your application. If I'm sitting on a residency admissions committee, I would wonder why your home department wouldn't even give your their seal of approval by giving what is typically considered to be a perfunctory honors grade for the rotation.

I do agree that derm rotations can be frustrating because most are just a shadowing experience.

Is there anyone that you were close to on the rotation that you could ask for insight? (A resident? A faculty member?) Is this typical of your home program to NOT honor rotators?

My former training program typically honors everyone (especially if we know they want to do derm). It would take a considerable amount of work to NOT honor the rotation but I do realize this may differ from program to program

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't kill your app but I've always found it to be a bit of a black eye on your application. If I'm sitting on a residency admissions committee, I would wonder why your home department wouldn't even give your their seal of approval by giving what is typically considered to be a perfunctory honors grade for the rotation.

I do agree that derm rotations can be frustrating because most are just a shadowing experience.

Is there anyone that you were close to on the rotation that you could ask for insight? (A resident? A faculty member?) Is this typical of your home program to NOT honor rotators?

My former training program typically honors everyone (especially if we know they want to do derm). It would take a considerable amount of work to NOT honor the rotation but I do realize this may differ from program to program

Thank you. It's not typical of my department to honor everyone, but other programs will not know that. Is there anything I could do in this situation?

Thank you. It's not typical of my department to honor everyone, but other programs will not know that. Is there anything I could do in this situation?

I wouldn't draw any more attention to it. I would try to honor any remaining rotations you have and try to obtain a good LOR from your home department.

If asked about it, I would try to find a small correctable weakness that you felt you had during this home rotation and how you managed to improve on it in subsequent derm rotations.