How bad is it to quit research project?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ineedhelpplse

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Working on a project with a doctor at my school's hospital where I am supposed to be leading and first author on the project. Not interested in it and it stresses me out just thinking about it. How bad would it be to tell my PI I am not longer interested in working on the project and quit?

Members don't see this ad.

Working on a project with a doctor at my school's hospital where I am supposed to be leading and first author on the project. Not interested in it and it stresses me out just thinking about it. How bad would it be to tell my PI I am not longer interested in working on the project and quit?
It's probably chill
Just don't ask the dude for an LOR ever lol

Reactions: 1 users
It's probably chill
Just don't ask the dude for an LOR ever lol
Suck it up and finish it if it is a small project...I work my butt off from A to Z to just be a second author....or wherever the resident is willing to put my name on...if you get first author, it is golden...when you see your first author name on pub, you will be glad to bite the bullet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't have any advice, but I know how you feel, OP. The stress of working on research on a subject you don't even like is something else, especially when you've got a ton of other stuff that's demanding your time.

Reactions: 1 user
This happens more frequently than you think.

Send a polite email stating that your research/specialty interests have changed and you wish to turn over the project to someone else.

As said above, this burns a bridge. Don’t expect a LOR or support from this faculty, or potentially their department if they are in a specific medical specialty.

I was in a similar situation and I totally understand. If you have no plan to finish the project, its best you let your PI know earlier rather than later.

If you don’t, this will happen:
-you’ll keep pushing back working on the project by making excuses that other things that demand your time
-There will be a period of time when you feel pretty good since you wont think about the project for a while.
-your PI will randomly email you one day wanting an update. You’ll freak out since you’ll have no updates. You’ll either ignore the message or make an excuse saying you need more time.
-repeat above step. If your PI is insistent, he/she will not stop asking for project to be done. It won’t go away and the stress will only get bigger and bigger

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

If you hate working on the project, just email your PI that you're not interested and look for something else. Don't ask them for an LOR