How bad is working as a graveyard pharmacist at CVS? (California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmlady

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an interview with CVS, and they offered me a graveyard pharmacist at LA/San Gabriel valley area.

- Can somebody tell me what the good and bad things about graveyard pharmacists at CVS? (I know it got much busier than before due to Auto Refill.. but I need more detailed info!)

- or does anybody know about the area(LA/San Gabriel Valley)?
(I'm from out of state.. just moved into CA. ... so don't know much about this area..)
I know that graveyard pharmacists work alone.. and no security guards..
Is working in this area at night alone really bad idea...?
(Is someone gonna break into the pharmacy and try to steal drugs? :( )
Please tell me the truth!

I don't know if I'm too scared or not.
I am a new female pharmacist + almost 30yo, and have kids... who is really afraid of gunman..

Any advice is welcome!!

Members don't see this ad.

I live in the SGV and worked for CVS before for about 6 months then moved on to inpatient hospital. What city or store? You can PM if you don't want to let the public know. If it's the one in on Atlantic in MPK, that is a very busy store. I have a friend working the graveyard 7 day/7 off in Arcadia and he likes it. It really depends on location.

I live in the SGV and worked for CVS before for about 6 months then moved on to inpatient hospital. What city or store? You can PM if you don't want to let the public know. If it's the one in on Atlantic in MPK, that is a very busy store. I have a friend working the graveyard 7 day/7 off in Arcadia and he likes it. It really depends on location.

i don't know which store i'm gonna be working at.
i was told that they're gonna pick one after I work as a floater for a couple of months.
I don't know if I want to accept this offer or not yet...cause I have family and am gettting old... :D
+ do you know how many prescription/day your friend does? i heard it's almost 100 without any tech's help.. is it true? (hope not..)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what he told me from his Arcadia store, which is a upper middle class area. He averaged about 70-100 by himself at night. The majority of the prescriptions like you said are auto-refills, but he finishes most of them because he say's he gets bored. He leaves a lot of the new prescriptions for the morning since the doctor's offices are closed and they have problems. If you go to the lower income areas it's a lot rougher and busier. Do you have to sign a contract? Why don't you do hospital graveyard instead? Jobs in the SGV are hard to come by for a pharmacist. Almost everyone is on a hiring freeze so options are limited if your are coming here, but I still get emails about hospital graveyard.

The SGV isn't that bad of place to live, but i'll paint the worst picture so you won't be surprised when you arrive. What have you heard of it? You are very close to downtown LA about 10-20 miles depending where you live. Anything East of the 710 freeway is where you want to be and above the 60 freeway. On the down side that means your 5-15 miles from South Central and East LA. This place is not your utopia area of anything close to that. Have you ever watched that CNN episode about the gangs of Boyle Heights, that is one of your neighboring cities. I'm not going to lie and say it isn't possible to be held up, anywhere is possible. The people you will probably be seeing at CVS in the SGV are either Asian or Hispanic and the majority on Medi-cal. Also, the school districts aren't the best here unless you're sending them to Arcadia, San Marino, Diamond Bar or Rowland school district, everything else might as well be prison training camps. Wikipedia the cities and see if you really want to come here. If you like diversity and have a little ghetto in you, you'll fit right in.

Last edited:
we all have a little ghetto in us!:laugh:

This is what he told me from his Arcadia store, which is a upper middle class area. He averaged about 70-100 by himself at night. The majority of the prescriptions like you said are auto-refills, but he finishes most of them because he say's he gets bored. He leaves a lot of the new prescriptions for the morning since the doctor's offices are closed and they have problems. If you go to the lower income areas it's a lot rougher and busier. Do you have to sign a contract? Why don't you do hospital graveyard instead? Jobs in the SGV are hard to come by for a pharmacist. Almost everyone is on a hiring freeze so options are limited if your are coming here, but I still get emails about hospital graveyard.

The SGV isn't that bad of place to live, but i'll paint the worst picture so you won't be surprised when you arrive. What have you heard of it? You are very close to downtown LA about 10-20 miles depending where you live. Anything East of the 710 freeway is where you want to be and above the 60 freeway. On the down side that means your 5-15 miles from South Central and East LA. This place is not your utopia area of anything close to that. Have you ever watched that CNN episode about the gangs of Boyle Heights, that is one of your neighboring cities. I'm not going to lie and say it isn't possible to be held up, anywhere is possible. The people you will probably be seeing at CVS in the SGV are either Asian or Hispanic and the majority on Medi-cal. Also, the school districts aren't the best here unless you're sending them to Arcadia, San Marino, Diamond Bar or Rowland school district, everything else might as well be prison training camps. Wikipedia the cities and see if you really want to come here. If you like diversity and have a little ghetto in you, you'll fit right in.

I don't have to sign up but it is hard to get hospital job without doing any residency. but i'm still trying to find hospital job too.
CVS says they don't know which store/city I'll be ending up with.. it can be downtown LA.. or some area like Diamond Bar if I'm lucky.
Thanks Vynase. Your advice was a big help!!!:love:

just don't do the night shift in Las Vegas! I heard those stores are busier at night than during the daytime.

i was offered the same position

night time

7 on 7 off

12 hour night shifts

but i would have been in san fernando valley area

i decided to pass......and im glad i did.......it would really take a toll on ur body.......trying to adjust to ur sleep schedule on top of taking care of KIDS......u did have an "s" on the end right????? and u really don't get a full 7 days off because the first day off u will be catching up on sleep......and the final day u will be sleeping to prepare for the night shift........so its kind of like 7 work days but 5 solid days off

i know a few friends who do overnight but they are single and enjoying the extra pay to help pay off loans

even though u will be floating for a few months, u really do not know where u will be or eventually settle........

I've heard that the graveyard shift is pretty rough in retail from some people, others say it's easy. (The people who say that is easy are the ones who fall asleep.)

Actually, some of the techs at this 24 hour store I used to work at called up the pharmacy like at 4AM in the morning for ****s and giggles, they claimed that the voice of the nighttime pharmacist that works there becomes deeper, more monotone, and creepier as the night progresses.

And it kinda sucks that you can't order a pie of pizza or something since most of the places are closed.

Graveyard at a 24 hour CVS is not going to be fun. You will likely be the lone RPh with 1-2 techs and more help only showing up in the AM to prepare for the morning onslaught.

The other thing I should warn you about: retail chain talent seekers are notorious liars. They may have told you you'd only be a floater "for a couple months," but if it isn't in your contract, they are lying to you.

I knew floaters that went 2+ years without being assigned a home store that was in a 50 mile radius of where they lived. I wouldn't believe anything they tell you.

Your best bet, if you can manage, is to head to the area at 2AM and check out the scene. Maybe even talk to the staff to get a feel for what it's like. The DMs and hiring crew are f*cking snakes.

Graveyard at a 24 hour CVS is not going to be fun. You will likely be the lone RPh with 1-2 techs and more help only showing up in the AM to prepare for the morning onslaught.

The other thing I should warn you about: retail chain talent seekers are notorious liars. They may have told you you'd only be a floater "for a couple months," but if it isn't in your contract, they are lying to you.

I knew floaters that went 2+ years without being assigned a home store that was in a 50 mile radius of where they lived. I wouldn't believe anything they tell you.

Your best bet, if you can manage, is to head to the area at 2AM and check out the scene. Maybe even talk to the staff to get a feel for what it's like. The DMs and hiring crew are f*cking snakes.
I

and im sure you have a lot of experience as either a manager and in looking for a pharmacist job