how bad (or not) is Western U?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhoaTasneem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So down the grape vine, I have always heard awful things about Western.

People say that their Adcom doent knwo what they are looking for in a studnet, and randomly accepts poor candidates and turns away great ones....

and the most popular "don't go western, you wont pass your boards"

is any of this true. Because I haev been to the campus serval times, and tey seem really great....

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

hey.....i'm on hold for western right now but i think i'm going to get rejected so i guess western DOES turn away great students. =).

but i thikn it's a good school...good facilities, faculty and curriculum (from what i saw in the interview). it's not bad.....about the boards....

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/about/pass_rates.htm

pass rates for a whole bunch of pharm schools...western's not bad

Hi ilostmyspacebar,

I think my opinion is kinda bias but I've always wanted to go to a pharmacy school in S. California and that leave me with USC and WesternU. I didnt get accepted to USC and that's fine - I've messed up in my first two years of college and there alot of people who work hard to deserve the spot more than me so my ~3.4 and resume isnt good enough.

I think WesternU is a great school but there is still alot of stigma around it because it's a new school compared to other schools already established school such as USC. I read in one of their newsletter and also at the interview that they have 100% passing board rate for several semester already so I don't doubt their competency. What I've gained from my interview is that the faculty are very genuine and funny. I also have a better impression of WesternU than other schools - USC, and UOP - I've interviewed with because I think I will enjoy my time there more. The campus is nice inside, but their outside look like a worn out mall. But not to worry, they are currently investing $600k to reinnovate the outside and should be done by late Aug or early Sept.

WhoaTasneem, I think with every school, there will be time where you don't understand the adcom decision why they accept this student and not that one. Unless you are an adcom, you don't understand the overall picture and this lead to hasty conclusion. If you read the board, there are people that got into UCSF with a low GPA compared to avg, but they did something that the admission really like...their personal statement, interview performance, passion and driven, extra-curricular activities.