How bad will this hurt me?

Started by Rotinaj
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rotinaj

Maintenance
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So when I first went to college several years ago, I was working full time in construction and really didn't feel any pressure to work towards my degree because I was already making good money and hadn't chosen a future at the time. At the same time, I kept telling myself that I needed to go back to school and get a degree so that I could open up some doors. But lets face it, if you don't like school, opening doors for the sake of opportunity doesn't motivate you to do well in school. Also, a four year degree without experience is really only good for getting into grad school anyways. So basically I have about 45 hours worth of classes that I either withdrew from or stopped going to.

Flash to today, 2 and a half years since my last semester, I have straight A's. I can afford to go to my community college for a few more semesters, but as soon as I transfer to my four year University, I'll need to start student loan apps. Will that past haunt me, or will 3 semesters of A's and an explanation probably get me by?
 
So when I first went to college several years ago, I was working full time in construction and really didn't feel any pressure to work towards my degree because I was already making good money and hadn't chosen a future at the time. At the same time, I kept telling myself that I needed to go back to school and get a degree so that I could open up some doors. But lets face it, if you don't like school, opening doors for the sake of opportunity doesn't motivate you to do well in school. Also, a four year degree without experience is really only good for getting into grad school anyways. So basically I have about 45 hours worth of classes that I either withdrew from or stopped going to.

Flash to today, 2 and a half years since my last semester, I have straight A's. I can afford to go to my community college for a few more semesters, but as soon as I transfer to my four year University, I'll need to start student loan apps. Will that past haunt me, or will 3 semesters of A's and an explanation probably get me by?

I'm a little confused about your question. Are you asking if your past low grades will stop you from being able to get loans? Or are you worried that applying for loans will mean that your new school will find out about all your past low grades?

If it's the first question, then no, academic performance doesn't factor into financial aid like loans and need-based grants. If it's the second question, then I'll move the thread to another forum where they can maybe give you more info.
 
It's the first question primarily. I know my next school will find out about my past grades, including any medical school I apply to. I've been told by my pre-med advisor that they'll look at the trend if I show solid grades from a certain point on.

I'm wondering if it will hurt my chances of getting loans and if they'll hit me with a crazy interest rate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, the good news is that your past grades shouldn't have any bearing on your ability to get financial aid. They might block you from getting some academic based scholarships, though. What could stop you from getting loans would be being in default on prior loans, but it sounds like that's not happening here. :luck:
 
If money is a problem do your general education courses such as math or non sciences at a community college and make sure they transfer.

Anyway, you will be able to get plenty of loan money.

I do have to say that a 4 year degree is very important. Just talk to people who have a 2 year trade degree and see how much trouble they have getting a decent job when they are laid off. Experience is a lot less important in today's job market for some odd reason.
 
Yeah, I've got two friends with four year degrees that are finding it hard pressed to make more than $14 an hour, perhaps they just can't interview or their career choices are poor financial ones.

I'm not in default on any of my loans, but I don't have any real positive stuff on my credit history either. A couple of late payments here and there, but nothing attrocious.

And I am taking courses at the local community college, I plan to transfer about 60 hours to save money. It's crazy cheap like 1500 a semester for a full load. UMKC is reasonable too, around 3500 a semester, so really I'll only need about 25000 in loans for my degree. Medical school will be the real bear.

Personally I think that going out of state to a four year university your freshman year is one of the worst financial moves you can make. It's like buying a new car, paying out the ass for gloss. All of these college grads whining about 120,000 in debt after college aren't earning any sympathy from me.
 
Personally I think that going out of state to a four year university your freshman year is one of the worst financial moves you can make. It's like buying a new car, paying out the ass for gloss. All of these college grads whining about 120,000 in debt after college aren't earning any sympathy from me.

It gets worse for med school. One reason is that some people just have no choice and are only accepted to an out of state school. Of course most of the time it's not easy at all to get into a public school out of state.