How to pay for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

this_is_a_username

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was accepted into medical school, and I recently just had my financial aid award letter released. According to the letter, my expected cost of attendance is 100k+ when considering tuition, food, housing, and other fees. However, the award package said that I am eligible for loans up to approximately 57k and an additional 6k with federal work-study.

I have been blessed to have my undergraduate and post-graduate education funded by scholarships, so I am entering unfamiliar territory with loans. How am I supposed to pay for medical school? I read that I should avoid private loans, but I see no other way to get more funds other than through scholarships (which I don't believe can make up the difference). I am an independent student and do not have the luxury of family assisting with my costs, so I am very worried about how I'm going to make this work.

I've scheduled a meeting with one of the school's financial aid advisors to hopefully get things sorted out, but I wanted to see if there was some other advice others could give me here.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Anything not covered by scholarships you can get covered by federal loans. I don't know of any med students who needed to resort to private loans unless they were horrible with money (like me) and took out a residency & relocation loan.

Is your expected cost $100k+ per year or total?

Meeting with a FA advisor is a great first step.

Reactions: 1 users