How Bad Would This Be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not completely sure yet but i think there is a good chance that i may totally fail my business calculus class. As in get an "F". Obviously that would be bad but if you look at my avatar, you will be able to see that there has been a lot going on at my school in the past month or so.

In my particular situation, i had 11 days off of school because of what happened. Those 11 days were supposed to have two tests and then the two weeks following were supposed to have two more and a paper due. Over three and half weeks, that isn't too rough. However, things didn't turn out like that and when we got back, for me all of those assignments were crammed into about a week and half. The problem was that this was unexpected, since during the 11 days off, there was no contact between the professors and the students.

Alright so i went into that week and half, and ended up doing quite well on all of the tests and assignments. However, it came at the cost of business calculus. In order to do well in classes i have to do well in (this is all in psychology courses), i had to get all of the free time i could, so i missed about a week of calculus lecture, homework assignments, and quizzes. Of course if i miss those, i probably wasn't going to do well on the latest test, which was yesterday, and i'm pretty sure i failed it badly. I'm still waiting for the results of that test and unless there is a massive curve or something, it is all pretty well over. I figure even if i get A's on the remaining assignments, i will struggle to even get a D in the class. I did have a mid range B in mid-feburary but that was devastated by a lot of unforeseen events.

My question is, given the circumstances, if i take that class next semester and do well, would graduate schools find this to be forgivable? If i come back and get a B or an A, would they ignore the F? If i had four A's and an F, which will probably happen, is all of this forgivable or is this bad?

Members don't see this ad.

If you retake the class and get an A or B, it will probably be okay. I can't remember what year you are in, but if you're not in your last 2 years there's an even better chance it will be okay.

One blip on your transcript will not make or break your application, especially if you can retake it and show drastic improvement. Would the F still factor into your overall GPA if its retaken? Just need to keep that above a 3.5 and then its not a major factor.

you're not in your last 2 years there's an even better chance it will be okay.
If it does happen, then i am stuck taking an extra semester, so basically i would be in the last semester of my junior year right now.

Would the F still factor into your overall GPA if its retaken? Just need to keep that above a 3.5 and then its not a major factor.
I was wondering that, i'm not too sure what my university's policy is. I would also have to see if i could withdraw late but i doubt it. If all of this happens the way i think it will, i would be applying to grad schools with a 3.43 or so. But also i am pretty much only looking at masters programs at professional schools immediately after my undergrad work.

Also this would be my only F in my time as an undergrad. I had a few C's in classes unrelated to psychology very early on (such as music or american history) but other than that, it is all B's and A's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should relax about this. There is nothing you can do about it now, and if you only flubbed one class - better that it is out of your major - I am guessing you are doing better than some others at your school. In my opinion, quit worrying about the class and take it again next year. This is definately forgivable. If your worried about it, mention it in your PS. Best of luck to you.

I think you should relax about this. There is nothing you can do about it now, and if you only flubbed one class - better that it is out of your major - I am guessing you are doing better than some others at your school. In my opinion, quit worrying about the class and take it again next year. This is definately forgivable. If your worried about it, mention it in your PS. Best of luck to you.

Well i'm not freaking out or anything, if that is what you think. I'm just trying to assess the situation. I could definitely see some good that could come out of this situation too. I won't go into any of that, i'm just trying to figure out how grad schools would look at it.

If you know you're going to fail it, can you withdraw from it first? At my school you can withdraw until the end of the quarter and get a "W" on your transcript instead of an "F." Having a lot of "W"s is not good, but one or two is probably better than an "F".

If you know you're going to fail it, can you withdraw from it first? At my school you can withdraw until the end of the quarter and get a "W" on your transcript instead of an "F." Having a lot of "W"s is not good, but one or two is probably better than an "F".

That is something i am going to look into, however, i believe it is too late. There is a deadline usually somewhere near midterms and since we are about ten weeks in, i'm guessing it is long since past.

The only thing that could salvage this class for me is if a large portion of the class did just as bad on this test. I'm talking about 50% average. I already know that i lost at least 45 points on the test (out of 100), just from problems i didn't even do. The professor does curve, however, it would have to be substantial. I've seen it happen before and since nearly everyone in the class is a freshman or sophomore, i'm guessing that is possible but it isn't something i am going to count on. A lot of it still is up in the air but from what i can tell, this problem might be insurmountable.

I have a couple of D's & F's on my undergrad transcripts because I never bothered showing up for classes in which attendance was a fairly large portion of the grade. You will be fine. You might want to double check the deadline for requesting a withdraw. I know that some of those dates were extended due to the incident.

Here is information direct from the university website regarding how a repeat course should influence your GPA:

"Repeating a Course: A student may not repeat a course taken at NIU in which a grade of C or better was earned. If a student repeats a course in which a "D" or "F" was earned within a 13-month period from the end of the semester in which the course was first taken, the GPA of the student will include only the second attempt at the course. Students may enroll in a business course no more than twice. A withdrawal from a 300- or 400-level business course counts as an enrollment. For all repeats after the first and for any repeat that does not commence within a thirteen-month period, the GPA will include all attempts. In all cases, the permanent record will report each attempt at the course."

Keep in mind, however, that for some grad schools, it doesn't matter how your university handled it--you are still required to calculate the "F" into the GPA that they request, even if you retake it & earn a better grade. Just something else to think about.

G'luck! :luck:

That is something i am going to look into, however, i believe it is too late. There is a deadline usually somewhere near midterms and since we are about ten weeks in, i'm guessing it is long since past.

The only thing that could salvage this class for me is if a large portion of the class did just as bad on this test. I'm talking about 50% average. I already know that i lost at least 45 points on the test (out of 100), just from problems i didn't even do. The professor does curve, however, it would have to be substantial. I've seen it happen before and since nearly everyone in the class is a freshman or sophomore, i'm guessing that is possible but it isn't something i am going to count on. A lot of it still is up in the air but from what i can tell, this problem might be insurmountable.

I just checked out NIU undergrad academic policies -- withdrawl up to the 8th weeks of class, after that you have to make a specific petition citing strong reasons. if you get an F, you can retake it, and the new grade will replace the F in your GPA calculation, but still be on your transcript. all this is in the undergrad catalog. it will be fine -- if you're really worried, you can always mention it in your PS, but it really should be fine.

http://catalog.niu.edu/content.php?catoid=9&navoid=236

oh also, before you throw in the towel, TALK TO YOUR PROFESSOR. i work for a prof, and have chatted with basically the whole department at one point or another about student-faculty interactions, and they all say if you are proactive and really make an effort to imporve your score and work with them to learn what you are having trouble with, it will improve your score. there is no way the student that keeps the prof up to date on what they're doing, comes to office hours, participates in class, etc and shows a learning curve or rectifies a problem will have the same grade as one who has the same overall test average but did consistently poorly throughout the class.

If you can't get a W, I would talk to the professor to see about an incomplete and taking it next semester to replace the "I"

I just checked out NIU undergrad academic policies -- withdrawl up to the 8th weeks of class, after that you have to make a specific petition citing strong reasons. if you get an F, you can retake it, and the new grade will replace the F in your GPA calculation, but still be on your transcript. all this is in the undergrad catalog. it will be fine -- if you're really worried, you can always mention it in your PS, but it really should be fine.

http://catalog.niu.edu/content.php?catoid=9&navoid=236

Yes, this is technically correct. But, once again, due to the incident earlier in the semester, a number of deadlines (e.g., file for graduation, dissertations, withdrawals, etc.) were changed and exceptions are being made for some students. I still suggest that the OP double check those dates and contact the advising office to verify those dates. I suspect it may still be too late anyway since even if those dates were changed, it's over a month later and I suspect that they weren't pushed back that much. Buut, you never know until you ask!

EDIT: I actually ran across the deadline when I was looking for something else tonight. Last date was March 14 for withdrawal, so the date was delayed but already passed as well.

I find this post interesting simply because not too long ago the OP was writing about how he felt other students in his class were "lazy and stupid."

How then does it feel to be the on receiving the F? Probably not too good, correct? I would also assume that you would not like the members of your said class to think of you as lazy or stupid.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I find this post interesting simply because not too long ago the OP was writing about how he felt other students in his class were "lazy and stupid."

How then does it feel to be the on receiving the F? Probably not too good, correct? I would also assume that you would not like the members of your said class to think of you as lazy or stupid.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

But he's different. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
What happened at your school was quite sad. I find it unsettling that you're using it as an excuse for what's happened in your class.

You stated that the problem was that the change in schedule was unexpected because there was no communication between the profs and students. I assume that your profs (like every other profs on the face of this planet) gave you their contact info at the beginning of the semester. Failing that, I'm sure your school's website has a search function for email addresses. Shooting them a quick email a long time ago would have solved the issue of unexpected changes in the course.

Then, you state that you had to let your business class slip because you needed to do well in your psych courses. I get that, but skipping classes and homework for a week? Surely you could have given up a few hours of sleep that week in order to stay on top of things.

Life will happen. I realize that threw things up in the air but it doesn't seem like you're taking any responsibility. Blaming it on the circumstances is (in my opinion) a bit inappropriate given what happened.

That said, everyone has a grade they're not happy with on their transcript. It's not a Psych course, it likely won't be a huge deal or even a small one.

I find it unsettling that you're using it as an excuse for what's happened in your class.
Ok but that begs the question: Why do you believe that i care, in any way,about what you think?

Ok but that begs the question: Why do you believe that i care, in any way,about what you think?

Cause you are on a forum and asked for advice?:laugh: I think Raynee was just trying to get you to do a little healthy self reflection about the situation; a neccesary quality for any psych grad student. Defensiveness on the other hand, is not.

Exactly. I was also trying to point out that while the grade itself isn't going to be a problem, your attitude about it could be.

If a grad school asked you about it, I really don't think they'd enjoy your explanation as it stands right now.

Don't post questions on PUBLIC forums if you can't be mature enough to handle the answers.

Blaming it on the circumstances is (in my opinion) a bit inappropriate given what happened.
I really don't think they'd enjoy your explanation as it stands right now.
Ok, how about this. When there is a shooting at your school and someone you know is killed, come on back to this thread and tell me how insignificant the circumstances are to you. Tell me you could go back to the place where it happened a week later and be on top of everything. Tell me nothing in your professional career would suffer and if it did, you wouldn't try to assess everything that happened later on. Yes i very well failed a class, i know that is on me but i am just wondering if maybe it is forgivable due to extreme circumstances. That maybe the thing i have been working towards for years hasn't been ruined by tough times. All i was wondering is if after all of this, i could still achieve my dream. What an awful, cold, calculating person i am.

You know, i'm sure you will make a great psychologist someday.

And if anyone else has any problems with me, as it seem many in this thread do, and if you want to take any more personal shots at me, if you just can't hold back, send me a PM and i will tell you exactly what i think about you. Sound fair.

Ok, how about this. When there is a shooting at your school and someone you know is killed, come on back to this thread and tell me how insignificant the circumstances are to you. Tell me you could go back to the place where it happened a week later and be on top of everything. Tell me nothing in your professional career would suffer and if it did, you wouldn't try to assess everything that happened later on.

You know, i'm sure you will make a great psychologist someday you ****ing piece of ****.

No one EVER said what happened was "insignificant." and calling people a "****ing piece of ****" says more about YOU than it does THEM. What happened at your campus was terrible- no one is denying that, but what people are saying is that it doesn't seem like you are taking any responsibility for your class. As someone mentioned, you never tried emailing the professor. And you said you did really well on all of your psych quizzes and assignments, so it's not a matter of you being unable to do the work. It's an issue of time management, IMO.

Ok, how about this. When there is a shooting at your school and someone you know is killed, come on back to this thread and tell me how insignificant the circumstances are to you. Tell me you could go back to the place where it happened a week later and be on top of everything. Tell me nothing in your professional career would suffer and if it did, you wouldn't try to assess everything that happened later on.

You know, i'm sure you will make a great psychologist someday you ****ing piece of ****.

To be sure, a tragic event with evidently personal implications, but your response is inappropriate notwithstanding these circumstances. Besides, no substantive personal involvement was revealed by yourself, so how could it have been deliberately injured?

Good luck with that grade.

In Jack's defense, he didn't start this thread to get feedback on how badly he mismanaged his time, or to pool together all the "should of, would of, could of" he possibly could. Maybe he needs it, you all make a strong point, but it is not what he is asking for.

Jack, take a deep breath....activate frontal lobes....

There is a baseline level of maturity I've observed on these forums. Try harder.

I had a client (a child) who was brutal killed by his father. Beaten to death if you really want the details. I didn't "fail" the rest of my clients because of this tragic event. It was by far the most difficult professional situation I had experienced.

Although difficult, nothing in my professional career suffered as you state above it may.

I find your behavior and comments on this thread to be childish. You comments reflect that of an angry individual who will stop at nothing to insult or put down others.

As someone mentioned, you never tried emailing the professor
When did i say i didn't try talking to the professor? Find the quote, i'll wait.

it doesn't seem like you are taking any responsibility for your class
Oh, so saying

"i missed about a week of calculus lecture, homework assignments, and quizzes."

"if i miss those, i probably wasn't going to do well on the latest test"

"i think there is a good chance that i may totally fail my business calculus class"

"if i take that class next semester and do well, would graduate schools find this to be forgivable? If i come back and get a B or an A..."

All of that is me blaming everyone else? No personal responsibility there.

So how am i not taking any responsibility? Did i say "i deserve an A because of what happened"? All i asked is if given these extenuating circumstances, if i failed the class and then come back and do the whole thing again, and do well, how would grad schools look at that. Certainly what happened could have some impact, could it not? Maybe in the sheer, unexpected chaos the followed, that maybe that could have contributed to something going wrong.

"Cause you are on a forum and asked for advice?:laugh:"

Did i? At no point did i ask advice on my time management skills or if i made any mistakes or is it ok if i try to scam the school into giving me a good grade. What advice was i seeking? I was seeking opinions on a very narrow subject. All i asked is if i could make the class up and be ok given everything that has happened but instead some people decided to make this a debate with accusations about how i am trying to use a tragedy for my own personal gain.

Besides, no substantive personal involvement was revealed by yourself
Exactly because i didn't want to talk about anything beyond what i asked. I gave a small amount of info that was needed to answer a very specific question. All i wanted to know about was the one thing pertaining to this issue and it seemed to be all that was needed, since a couple of people were able to answer with little problem. However, a few people decided we needed a broader discussion without knowing all of the facts and have tried to demonize me based on things they know nothing about. Yes, i didn't provide a lot of info about things that were unnecessary to the original topic, what was i thinking?!

Maybe some people should have read the original question and stuck with that.

MOD NOTE:

Everyone needs to take a step back and keep in mind this is a professional forum. Calling people out, name calling, and pot shots between members is not okay. Being that it is Easter, I have things to do, but I'll be back to sort through this later today. I'd hope that everyone can take a bit of time to cool off and come back and be a bit more cognizant of their posts. -t

May I point out that you never know who is reading these forums?

Including members of your university. Including faculty/staff members of your university.

I suspect that the behavior in this thread (e.g., name-calling) would not be something that earns you a desired LOR in the future.

*MOD NOTE:....and with that, a good note to end on. Closing. -t*

Status
Not open for further replies.