How broadly should I apply for psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychappguy

Reaction score
USMD, mid to upper tier medical school
Step 1: 220
Step 2: 226
3 Psych LORs, 1 IM LOR, all expected to be strong
Psych research, 1 first author paper, 1 poster presentation
Lots of psych-related volunteering

How broadly will I need to apply?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you an MS4? I would apply to as many as you can, since it may be more competitive this year because of virtual interviews. Your scores are fine but I think to be safe, apply to maybe 30, it’s a weird application season. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you an MS4? I would apply to as many as you can, since it may be more competitive this year because of virtual interviews. Your scores are fine but I think to be safe, apply to maybe 30, it’s a weird application season. Good luck!

when you say this, are you just picking 30 residencies that you think you would like, or do you break it up into 10 programs that are lower tier, 10 mid tier, and 10 top tier?

Because if for example you are a worse applicant, such as a DO with less research but same scores, you would have to probably double that number to 60, and probably pick a lot more community based programs that aren’t attracting higher caliber applicants

just curious as to where you find out this kind of info, because for the people who don’t match, they probably didn’t apply to enough newer residencies/less established community based programs

I honestly would say use your best judgement, there isn’t a magic number here, but the game is to apply to more programs, to get more interviews, to rank and to ultimately match. Whether that’s 30 or 60 or in between, its hard to say b/c everyone is different; it’s sometimes a bit of luck and strategy. You never know what the PD or coordinator is looking for that day in extending an interview, things may change week to week, etc, so that is why I always recommend people to apply to as many programs as they can (academic, community, mix of both).

Since I'm an IMG, I'm applying to way more programs (207 to be honest). Ofc I don't think you need to go that far, but I don't think it's the time to risk something. My wife (US-GRAD too) applied to 110 programs because she had bad scores. I would honestly spend a little more, you won't spend on flights anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
when you say this, are you just picking 30 residencies that you think you would like, or do you break it up into 10 programs that are lower tier, 10 mid tier, and 10 top tier?

Because if for example you are a worse applicant, such as a DO with less research but same scores, you would have to probably double that number to 60, and probably pick a lot more community based programs that aren’t attracting higher caliber applicants

just curious as to where you find out this kind of info, because for the people who don’t match, they probably didn’t apply to enough newer residencies/less established community based programs

The matching outcome data shows chance of match versus number of programs applied (although just for broad strokes of people) which is where people are giving numbers (like 20). You are completely correct that the real best way to do this is by having a spread of programs and making sure to include less competitive locations to improve one's chance to match. Even for the OP I would make sure to have a hand full of less competitive programs (which are often not worse programs, just in less desirable locations geographically, I see you Iowa).

Reactions: 2 users
Since I'm an IMG, I'm applying to way more programs (207 to be honest). Ofc I don't think you need to go that far, but I don't think it's the time to risk something. My wife (US-GRAD too) applied to 110 programs because she had bad scores. I would honestly spend a little more, you won't spend on flights anyway.
i'm applying prob around 100 as a DO student, probably more.

20 sounds a bit low. My steps were a bit higher and I had more research but the rest of our apps are similar. My advisors told me 30. I applied 40 and still didn’t feel “safe” throughout the cycle though admittedly I did match my first choice. 20 might be fine if you are planning on staying in your region and that isn’t California.

I applied 30 and felt that was a good number. Wound up with 11 interviews which is pretty spot on for ranks needed to match. I really curated my app list though so if you are less careful you may need more programs. Also, this was precovid so things may change this cycle.

Edit: I also had step 1 245 step 2 257, applied to 5 safe programs, 20 competitive, and 5 top. Got a smattering of programs ranked throughout that heirarchy.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied 30 and felt that was a good number. Wound up with 11 interviews which is pretty spot on for ranks needed to match. I really curated my app list though so if you are less careful you may need more programs. Also, this was precovid so things may change this cycle.

Edit: I also had step 1 245 step 2 257, applied to 5 safe programs, 20 competitive, and 5 top. Got a smattering of programs ranked throughout that heirarchy.

You mind sharing a few other highlights of your app (like # of pubs/posters)? Because that seems like a lot of applications for someone with such high scores.

Probably 8 pubs. One first author. some mild volunteering in med school.

The data suggests that diminishing returns really kicks in for ranks need to match at around 12. I think that 11 was solid, I do not think that I over replied. I definitely did not under reply either. No regrets.

You mind sharing a few other highlights of your app (like # of pubs/posters)? Because that seems like a lot of applications for someone with such high scores.

Reactions: 1 user