How can a current M2 set themself up for future career success?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphd_phdmd

Reaction score
I'm a current M2 at a low-tier MD/PhD program. Reading some of the threads on here about career prospects is honestly depressing, and I'm starting to feel like I'm set up to fail as a physician-scientist. Is there anything I can do (or plan to do) in my training that will improve my future career prospects?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I will reply tomorrow, but absolutely not... It is an attitude, you need to get a good mentor at your institution. You need to present your science, write paper, submit a F30 despite odds, and attend national MD/PhD conferences to network with PSTP directors. You might end up in a top 20 residency and then do a fellowship at a top 3 for your field. Then, you are as marketable as a top pedigree because of your resilience, fellowships, manuscripts and training.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a current M2 at a low-tier MD/PhD program. Reading some of the threads on here about career prospects is honestly depressing, and I'm starting to feel like I'm set up to fail as a physician-scientist. Is there anything I can do (or plan to do) in my training that will improve my future career prospects?

The things which differentiate those who succeed from those who don't exist at all programs. Find a strong mentor for your PhD, someone who sees you as a colleague who they want to develop, and a lot of stuff becomes much much easier. Focus on mentorship almost to the point of being agnostic on the actual thing you are studying. I want to be a psychiatrist and decided to join a lab where I could 'sell a story' which related to my interested, this was a huge mistake. I've seen people go from microbiology PhDs to enviable Psych PSTPs. Focus on finding a good lab environment, work hard, and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually have this poster hanging in my office. True story. I tend to be a realist, but there's a lot of truth in it if you look hard enough...
persistence_demotivational_posters-r7c17775fcfdb4123bbee4e8420793f7d_wv3_8byvr_704.jpg

I actually have this poster hanging in my office. True story. I tend to be a realist, but there's a lot of truth in it if you look hard enough...
persistence_demotivational_posters-r7c17775fcfdb4123bbee4e8420793f7d_wv3_8byvr_704.jpg

The defining quality of all successful PIs is that they never gave up. Whether or not it was reasonable to not give up is a more complicated question to answer.