How can a residency program be bad if its assoc. with a great medschool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Littlemantate

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a wierd phenomenon as I have interviewed and searched around for various programs in various fields. I have found often a residency program is known as not very good but the medschool there is really good-so I wonder how that medschool is good if numerous residency programs there are not so good-I mean the bulk of learning to be a doc is third year rotating through the various residency programs there-always think that is odd. I dunno maybe there are not a whole lot of them out there but they definetly exist.

Members don't see this ad.

I have noticed a wierd phenomenon as I have interviewed and searched around for various programs in various fields. I have found often a residency program is known as not very good but the medschool there is really good-so I wonder how that medschool is good if numerous residency programs there are not so good-I mean the bulk of learning to be a doc is third year rotating through the various residency programs there-always think that is odd. I dunno maybe there are not a whole lot of them out there but they definetly exist.

See...this is so ignorant of you. You assume that the quality of medical education is based upon the third year experiece and strong clinical activities but what REALLY matters is NIH funding. Just ask US news and world reports or any pre-med out there.

this phenomenon is especially true with family medicine programs. ie: great med schl, terrible FP program.

See...this is so ignorant of you. You assume that the quality of medical education is based upon the third year experiece and strong clinical activities but what REALLY matters is NIH funding. Just ask US news and world reports or any pre-med out there.

Best post ever.:laugh:

Besides, you guys are silly. The most important things to consider when picking a residency are:

1. The call schedule. Less good, more bad.
2. Free food. Yes good, no bad.
3. Egos. Big bad, normal good.
4. The "chicken****" factor.
5. Location (cost of living, etc.)

Prestige, faculty, and opportunity for international electives (to name a few things) are totally unimportant compared to quality of life.

Allow me to disabuse you of this notion.

Duke doesn't have an FM program silly!

Are you kidding!! Duke has a very ...... FM program. 5 spots unfilled last year:laugh:

Yes, Duke will not accept applicants this year and next year, may be they want to voluntary withdraw their accreditation.

Great catch! I can't believe the rest of us missed that ridiculous statement from the OP!

I can't believe all the time I wasted in residency and fellowship when I knew everything I needed in 3rd year!!
:laugh:

I'm sure the OP was speaking from personal experience. ;)

Great catch! I can't believe the rest of us missed that ridiculous statement from the OP!

I can't believe all the time I wasted in residency and fellowship when I knew everything I needed in 3rd year!!
:laugh:

Don't you guys think that the OP meant that the bulk of what you learn in med school you learn third year? For example, if a med school has lousy internal medicine and general surgery residencies, then the med students are not getting a great education. But if they have a lot of NIH funding then they are "highly ranked." Theoretically it seems like there can be a disconnect there. Or I guess it's also possible that a school does a great job of teaching students, but at the same time they abuse the residents. Who knows.

Don't you guys think that the OP meant that the bulk of what you learn in med school you learn third year? For example, if a med school has lousy internal medicine and general surgery residencies, then the med students are not getting a great education. But if they have a lot of NIH funding then they are "highly ranked." Theoretically it seems like there can be a disconnect there. Or I guess it's also possible that a school does a great job of teaching students, but at the same time they abuse the residents. Who knows.

Nope, the OP didn't mean that... he/she meant that at his/her med school they learn SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much in 3rd year that they don't REALLY even need to do a residency. ;)

Don't you guys think that the OP meant that the bulk of what you learn in med school you learn third year?

Perhaps we misunderstood, but given the OP's history of trolling, we aren't likely to give him the benefit of the doubt. Egomaniacal statements were his trade.

For example, if a med school has lousy internal medicine and general surgery residencies, then the med students are not getting a great education. But if they have a lot of NIH funding then they are "highly ranked." Theoretically it seems like there can be a disconnect there. Or I guess it's also possible that a school does a great job of teaching students, but at the same time they abuse the residents. Who knows.

But I do agree with the idea that programs can be "great" medical schools and lousy residencies. As you and others note, medical schools are considered "great" by: pre-meds and the general public either because of:

1) US News rankings which have little to do with clinical teaching and the actual experience of medical students but rather funding

2) legacy reputation - ie, Dad went there and loved it so it must be great

3) "conventional wisdom". This is the Harvard (or McGill for the Canucks) effect: "I've heard of it so it must be good."

What might be a great medical school may not be for someone else, or only may be defined as such because of factors that have little to do with one's specific experience.

And factors that make a residency great, may be totally different than medical school. There are several stories here on SDN about users who chose to go elsewhere for residency because while they loved their medical school they found the department of their specialty of choice lacking in some way - often it was because of a malignant repuation for abusing the residents.

Are you guys being sarcastic? You guys are wack. All the guy is saying is that the bulk of learning how to become a functioning doctor is third year, which it is. Before third year we know nothing about how to function in a hospital as a doctor. After third and fourth year, we are doctors and we can function and how did we learn that; third year. Does not mean we are complete doctors with nothing to learn.

Even fellowships and residencies do not make you a doctor who cannot learn. No "doctor" is ever complete and does not go through constant learning.

Homey

The OP's (read: your) post says the "bulk of the learning how to be a doc is 3rd year".

That is wack. You may possess knowledge of basic sciences and begin to learn the clinical sciences, but there is no way you learn how to be a physician in medical school. Its not even designed for that; residency and your first few years out in practice are.

I agree that the OP (you) didn't say there is "nothing more to learn" but the implication of his (your) statement above is that the vast majority of HOW TO BE A PHYSICIAN comes from 3rd year medical school. That is what we are arguing against.

BTW, if you're going to reregister after being banned to argue your point, you might consider giving different birthdays, email addresses, IPs, etc.

BTW, if you're going to reregister after being banned to argue your point, you might consider giving different birthdays, email addresses, IPs, etc.

:laugh: :smuggrin:

where are the top residency programs? anyone find any articles/reviews?

where are the top residency programs? anyone find any articles/reviews?

This information does not exist, nor should it. How would you propose the programs be ranked? By where the graduates end up? How do you rank that? By research funding? That doesn't generally apply to residents.

Ranking residencies would be as silly as ranking med schools already is. No relevance to anyone except premeds and journalists.